Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

gradyvt

Help with Option Strategy

Hello,

I currently have a short position on a stock RIMM.

sold short at 14.50 now 12.75.

I would like to keep the position but protect it somehow using options.

I think it will go lower but there is always a chance of a buyout.

I have made a few options trades but am certainly new to them.

Any thoughts on the best protection so I am not always checking the ticker to make sure someone did not purchase it for $20 and I am broke. LOL

original thought was to just buy a Dec $13 call. If stock stalled or went down to my exit point I could sell this option to recover some of the premium.

Thanks for any input

BT

a lot will depend on the costs of the options.

If you are just wanting to protect a catastrophic loss then the further out of the money maybe the better.

If you have a profit target on your short then maybe you could consider a zero cost collar.(or other named variation)

short a put say $10, long the $13 call - again all dependent on individual prices of course.

so that the options dont really cost you. - at expiry you will decide what to do. or get taken out of one or the other leg.

Alternatively you could buy an otm call option spread, slightly lower cost - maybe

Why no just buy a deep ITM put with not much premium on it eg; $16 put....take the short off and at least you know your downside in a take over is limited.

It will all boil down to doing some scenario analysis with regards prices and "thinking" about what might occur in various scenarios.

In the event of a takeover, option premium gets crushed as the stocks normally go into tight trading ranges, whereas takeover rumours see volatility for the just out of the money calls spike.....tough call.

Thank You very much for reply.

I will look at the different ideas you mentioned and check pricing.

I really need to learn more about options, sounds like a great game with many different ways to make (or lose) money.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

maybe I should just take a profit and close out before long weekend.

Thanks

BT