Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Baker

Sites to Practice Technical Analysis?

are there any sites where one can practice identifying patterns on both new and old charts? ive been using freestockcharts.com and ive liked it so far, but i was wondering if there was a site where i could just download charts then print them out to draw all over them. any help is appreciated.

I would recommend Think or Swim. you can have a free paper money account and have access to many resources especially charts and intraday as well as closing price data. They have back trading system but you must have a real account for that.

Download and install NinjaTrader (its free) and use its Market Replay feature and free (downloadable) data. Check out their site and view the tutorial videos to see how its done.

You'll be able to replay Futures market data and test out your trading skills in "real-time" by replaying data for a given day versus only looking for potential opportunities from old charts.

Edited by Mr_You

are there any sites where one can practice identifying patterns on both new and old charts? ive been using freestockcharts.com and ive liked it so far, but i was wondering if there was a site where i could just download charts then print them out to draw all over them. any help is appreciated.

I've seen a bunch of applications that do this that you have to pay for, but I discovered a free web app that lets you do this at www.nonrandomwalk.com I like how it forces you to trade blindly and evaluates your performance. There is a lot of bad advice out there in technical analysis world and you definitely need to test out what works and what doesn't.

Edited by jwat
Messed up link

I've seen a bunch of applications that do this that you have to pay for, but I discovered a free web app that lets you do this at www.nonrandomwalk.com I like how it forces you to trade blindly and evaluates your performance. There is a lot of bad advice out there in technical analysis world and you definitely need to test out what works and what doesn't.

Great site, simple yet challenging for someone testing a system.

https://www.quantopian.com/

This site lets you create an algorithm any you can backtest it on any stock through any time period and it will show you the results.

I checked out this very cool site. Thanks for the recommendation. I really like what they are trying to do. The fundamental problem writing very specific (coded) algorithms is that it is difficult to code up every situation that could develop. You are often forced to set arbitrary thresholds. Humans can be a bit more flexible in their interpretation of price data. However, there is the emotional baggage which can be detrimental to wealth...