Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

emini.ninja

Crude Retracing? Why?

Folks that trade or follow light sweet crude would have noticed the nice rebound from two days ago. I for one wasn't expecting it to retrace. I'm interested to know if other CL traders were expecting the retrace, and if so, why? Was there a technical reason to the move? I'm interested in what your thoughts are for the move between Feb 29 and March 01.

fut_chart.ashx?t=CL&p=h1

Link to larger chart on Finviz

Thanks for replying Steve. Just curious - did you mean profit-taking resulted in the move down? I was interested in the subsequent move up yesterday and the explosive move today. Is the move merely speculation based on the Iran situation or is there a technical side to it that I didn't see (that other traders might possibly have seen)?

Thanks for replying Steve. Just curious - did you mean profit-taking resulted in the move down? I was interested in the subsequent move up yesterday and the explosive move today. Is the move merely speculation based on the Iran situation or is there a technical side to it that I didn't see (that other traders might possibly have seen)?

Yes thats whats profit taking is...people liquidating profitable positions before the market takes back some of the profits....

And this market moves in levels.....traders wait until they see specific data then they position themselves to get on board to the next level...the smaller traders are the ones taking profits...most of the action is speculative based on news...very little on fundamental data.

Certainly no reason why you can't ask, but surely you must realize that no one is going to give up their edge on a public website...Your best bet is to become a good observer and read as much available data as possible...once you put the pieces together (if you still have capital) you should be able make a few dollars if you manage risk decently.

by the way, you ought to read some of the other "similar" threads listed below....depending on your native intelligence you may see that there are several distinct groups of folks trading this market....and as in most circumstances, one group (I like to call them "cowboys") is paying the others to play...

Folks that trade or follow light sweet crude would have noticed the nice rebound from two days ago. I for one wasn't expecting it to retrace. I'm interested to know if other CL traders were expecting the retrace, and if so, why? Was there a technical reason to the move? I'm interested in what your thoughts are for the move between Feb 29 and March 01.

Probably triggered a solid wall of stops by the look of the chart

Unless you are a journalist trying to write an article about oil, the why is not important. You have to focus in the fact that it retraced and try to understand if it is just a retracement (opportunity to get in the trend) or a change in the trend (reversal), in which case the chance is to close longs and/or go short.

My 2 cents.