Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Maelstrom

Trading the Storm - Methods for the Struggling Trader

Anyone miss me? :rofl:

Wow, feels like I have been gone forever. Spent the last couple of weeks getting a new house, moving, furnishing a much bigger place, and dealing with the wonderful things that come along with all that.

Haven't even been able to open a chart in that time, so I am completely lost to what has been going on (other than what has been on the news). Hope everyone has had success trading, and looking forward to catching up with things here on TL.

Now if I could just get my wireless network back up and running, I will be ready to hit the trading arena once again (hopefully by next week)

M

Anyone miss me? :rofl:

Wow, feels like I have been gone forever. Spent the last couple of weeks getting a new house, moving, furnishing a much bigger place, and dealing with the wonderful things that come along with all that.

Haven't even been able to open a chart in that time, so I am completely lost to what has been going on (other than what has been on the news). Hope everyone has had success trading, and looking forward to catching up with things here on TL.

Now if I could just get my wireless network back up and running, I will be ready to hit the trading arena once again (hopefully by next week)

M

we did! congrats on the new place ... you missed all the volatility ... but there will be more to come i'm sure

-mslk

I agree about the volatility. It feels like being on a roller coaster ride!

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts regarding trading strategy.

Is it better to scalp or ride short term trends in the present market?

All the best,

One idea is to simply trade the same strategy except cut your position size in half and double your stop and targets. This allows for the same risk/reward, but prevents you from getting taken out due to the increased vol.

I agree about the volatility. It feels like being on a roller coaster ride!

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts regarding trading strategy.

Is it better to scalp or ride short term trends in the present market?

All the best,

If you're a swinger, it's a good time to deploy your vol expansion strategy for the equity markets. Move your trend and/or mean reversion strategies to the back burner or deploy on another appropriate market. As far as scalping, it's always in play.

Maelstrom,

i've been away for awhile but since last visiting here am now using range bars in addition to my tick and time based charts...

fwiw, i found this video that presents some ideas on range bar entry techniques.

Learn How to Trade Range Bar Patterns - Trader Kingdom

this caught my attention and i thought it worth sharing as he emphasizes the importance of qualifying / confirming with patterns which you know I'm an advocate of...

have really been on a roll, up net 67% since Oct. 1...

best regards...

-phil

For Forex my suggestion is as follows

look at the 4 hour chart

Recently EUR/USD in last 10-15 days has been trending downward

so draw your trend lines and when it is the right moment short it with a stop loss of 50 pips and a take profit of 50 pips

Since it has been trending downward .....dont play counter-trend and make long trades...trying to make money on every move.

you will be sure to make at least 50 pips a day...sometimes making 50 pips twice a day.

I have been using this method very successfully.

KISS === Keep it Simple and Stupid

Wow.... still getting posts on this thread!

Gotten a few PM's and some posts with questions and comments.... will try to address a few of the more general ones.

Am I still trading - yes.

Am I still using this method - yes, kind of. I am always tinkering and trying new things, so have a few other twists and things I have been using.

Can I answer questions - sure.

It really is nice to see that there is still some interest in what I had posted here... I have gotten some really nice messages from a few people about how something "clicked" for them in reading some of the things here, and honestly... that was the purpose.

Always been a believer that something you create or discover or, most importantly, believe in for yourself, is the most useful and effective thing you can find in trading. Kind of why I stepped away from the thread and the forum - people were contributing their methods and ideas, and I hoped it would continue.

After all, my way isn't necessarily the right way, it just happens to be the direction I am moving in! :)

M