Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheNegotiator

Professionally Built Trading PCs

Hi,

Here at TL we are always trying to find new ways to offer TL users value. Most of this comes from our website but there are always ways we can benefit from being part of a community. At this stage, this is just an idea. Before it could be a viable opportunity for us, I need to know the sort of numbers of people who may be interested in it. The idea is for bulk buying of professionally built trading PCs to get a level of discount for everyone. I believe it would be for a certain hardware setup, but we may be able to talk about several system types. As soon as I get some numbers and details, I will post them here.

If you are interested, please let me know by private messaging me. Don't worry though, by doing so it doesn't mean you are committing to buy one!!!

Thanks,

TheNegotiator.

Okay, so when you PM me, could you please answer the following questions:-

1) How many monitors would you like the PC to run?

2) Would you also be interested in monitors with the PC purchase?

3) What country are you located in?

4) Not including monitors, what is your ballpark price point for a high performance trading PC with the ability to run the number of monitors you answered in question 1?

5) If the price point was offered, would you be willing to commit to a down payment as part of the group buy to be used only if enough people commit?

6) Any other additional comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

TheNegotiator.

are they going to look like these:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/compblackops.asp

they overclock to 5 GHZ!

It depends on your needs. If you are a intense gamer then maybe a super overclocked water cooled rig is for you. However, a well thought out well built and well maintained high end system should be top of the list for a trader imho!! Remember that overclocking also will shorten the life of your components. The systems could be top end or a little bit lower to suit all needs, but I am not sure yet so don't quote me on this!

That's right, in trading, you want something stable...

Most trader do not require a rocket fast computer,

just any quadcore is plenty fast enough for most requirements, but it has to be stable.

Therefore OC is most likely not a good idea.

Backtesters might want something different,

but that's another story.

In my experience, for wkstations dedicated to trading only, it is better to get to know a few local hardware aficionados and work with one of them to design and build your trading computers. Using the specs and list of components and parts you have worked out with the tech, order the stuff yourself and take it to the tech for assembly and an OS install and setup . For the OS setup, emphasize having him minimize all the ‘services’ that would normally run by default.

For the hardware, focus on selecting high quality components that are known to work well together – esp video. As Tams indicated, overclocking sb last resort. For ‘performance’, select widest bus architecture on the MB, loads of high quality fast RAM, and fast drives – build it for a 300,000 mile haul not a 500 mile race… Also, I try to not to be a tester for the very latest in processors. High end of one generation back has always worked well for me…

If something does break and also in the beginning when you might need things re-configured, etc. more than once, you’ll be up and running again much faster working with a local guy than you will be shipping stuff back and forth or trying to do it over the phone with a far away custom trading system builder.

Edited by zdo

Okay. Thanks zdo and I appreciate your input. However, what I am suggesting is something that will suit certain traders very well and hopefully give them some kind of saving too. By no means is anyone obliged to take this potential opportunity and I would strongly suggest to an individual that they do their homework thoroughly before committing to any trading pc- be it an off-the-shelf, bespoke or professionally built and maintained computer.