Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

laurus12

Does Not Plot - Coding Question - Classical TS Momentum Indicator Variation

I am trying to code a variation of the classical Momentum indicator by adding more parameters with a couple of functions. I've called it Momentum Delta. Both the indicator and functions compiles, but it will not plot in the charts. Could someone please take a look at the code and tell me what I am doing wrong. The lines is exactly as in the indicator and functions when trying to attach.

The coding is:

Indicator:

Plot1(MOMENTUMMom+MOMENTUMSmo,"Momentum Delta") ;

Function 1, meant to be a 8 period momentum study of the Momentum indicator:

(Momentum(CLOSE,12)8 Bars Ago) ;

Function 2, meant to be a smoothed short period Momentum:

(Momentum(CLOSE,5)5 Bars Ago) ;

The numbers are just some thought parameters to start with.

Thanks,

Laurus

I am trying to code a variation of the classical Momentum indicator by adding more parameters with a couple of functions. I've called it Momentum Delta. Both the indicator and functions compiles, but it will not plot in the charts. Could someone please take a look at the code and tell me what I am doing wrong. The lines is exactly as in the indicator and functions when trying to attach.

The coding is:

Indicator:

Plot1(MOMENTUMMom+MOMENTUMSmo,"Momentum Delta") ;

Function 1, meant to be a 8 period momentum study of the Momentum indicator:

(Momentum(CLOSE,12)8 Bars Ago) ;

Function 2, meant to be a smoothed short period Momentum:

(Momentum(CLOSE,5)5 Bars Ago) ;

The numbers are just some thought parameters to start with.

Thanks,

Laurus

I have a similar problem.

THe code is

Plot1(Swing+Swinger, "HeeHaw");

it doesn't plot.

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem.

THe code is

Plot1(Swing+Swinger, "HeeHaw");

it doesn't plot.

Any ideas?

Tams, seriously. I am trying to learn something here if someone would please help me. Except from the "MOMENTU MSmo" typo I expect the indicator line to be correct. The way I see it, there is something missing or wrong with the coding in the functions. I have tried to find the solution myself, but I do not get it.

Tams, seriously. I am trying to learn something here if someone would please help me. Except from the "MOMENTU MSmo" typo I expect the indicator line to be correct. The way I see it, there is something missing or wrong with the coding in the functions. I have tried to find the solution myself, but I do not get it.

you still don't get the message.

seriously, what you have given is not enough to begin an inquiry.

Hi laurus12,

if "MOMENTU MSmo" is you function, then here is the solution.

You cannot have a function with space in between.

Make it as "MOMENTU_MSmo".

Also Please post as much details as Possible as Tams suggests. That would help others to give you a solution quickly..

Thanks,

EasyTrader.

Thank you guys for the follow up, and Tams please have some patience with me. It is my first steps into the coding sphere.

The "_MOMENTU MSmo" was a typo, but thank you EasyTrader.

The idea is to use the classical Momentum indicator as foundation to produce two different values from two different functions which I then would like to come out as a delta value on the charts. My goal is to make it have more sensitive and larger oscillations to see if it can be better in showing divergences than the classical one.

The first function is thought as a 8 period momentum study of the Momentum indicator, and the second as a 5 period smoothed short 5 period Momentum. Hence the _MOMENTUMMom+_MOMENTUMSmo, where the "Mom" is momentum study and the "Smo" the short period smoothed study.

I have experimentet some more and came up with these wrong studies, but it now plots. For my learning and illustration they might be useful anyhows:

_MOMENTUMMom:

Variable: MOM(0) ;

MOM = (Momentum(CLOSE,12)8 Bars Ago) ;

_MOMENTUMMom = MOM ;

_MOMENTUMSmo:

Variable: SMO(0) ;

SMO = (Momentum(CLOSE,5)5 Bars Ago) ;

_MOMENTUMSmo = SMO ;

As you see in the picture the timings are awful where tops in the oscillator corresponds with lows in price. In addition the oscillations are too small, very much the same as the original.

Thanks,

Laurus

5aa71059c6a42_erroneousmom_delta.png.37e1d293892555d47e0dd2c6d231e314.png