Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

olmoelisa

Trading the Market Opening

Hi, I'd like to find a tutorial about trading the market openings.

It's OK an online tutorial, a book, an ebook, everything...

Till now I've only found two ebooks by W. Miller, one is "Secret Stock Trading Indicator - Trading on Market Opening ", the other has a similar title something like trading around the market opening, both are very expensive and I'm not sure if they are good or not.

Any suggestion is welcome

thank you Sandra

Hi Sandra,

If you've traded before you can probably do a web search to come up with a few suggestions. Fading the opening gap is a popular technique that is based on the belief that most opening gaps will be filled, but I don't personally know the specific rules on how to do it. If you haven't traded before then you'll want to get some general background on technical analysis, which you can probably get by reading a few books from your local library or bookstore. Any market open strategies will make more sense to you if you have the technical analysis background.

Good luck

Before you trade gaps, you need to do your homework. Record if they fill and how long they take. Simply knowing a gap fills X% of the time won't help your account. Many fill in the days after, or after significant price movements in the opposite direction. Also, this trade changes subtly over time, as do they all. Beware of large gaps and volatile markets, as gaps tend to fill less given those conditions.

I will write more on this later, but you are best served understanding the key reference points in play close to the opening price, especially the highs and lows of the previous overnight session and day before that. Oftentimes, if you are close to an overnight high or low it will be tested to see what order flow lies in wait there. I like to play rejections from those extremes back to the overnight midpoint. If you use market profile, understanding where you open in relation to the value of the last 3-5 days (composite) can help as well.

Identifying levels: Overnight high, low, and midpoint.

Below I've attached charts of the last three days' trading with the overnight high, low, and midpoint marked out in red, green, and blue respectively. I use a box to show you where the market opened, and a green vertical line to denote the end of the first hour's trade. A few observations you could make based on these charts:

1. Market participants like to test one of these established extremes in the first hour.

2. It is difficult to play these extremes as fades without additional information.

3. The midpoint acts as an important pivot.

4. If prices auction to or beyond the overnight high or low and are rejected, the midpoint makes a nice target for your trade.

I'm not giving you a "if A, then B" type of scenario here. This is all context dependent and uncertain at the time of execution. Welcome to the market. If you want to learn more, let me know and I'll post more.

5aa7105a48a78_YM03-11(5Min)2_4_2011.thumb.png.e1de0b763cbc6b503fc351adc5fe2c78.png

5aa7105a4dac7_YM03-11(5Min)2_3_2011.thumb.jpg.0c708ca2ae05445d9f463b86c5759502.jpg

5aa7105a52c2d_YM03-11(5Min)2_2_2011.thumb.jpg.7e4456186aa66a6bc0594ce3f901a476.jpg

Fib lines on these reference points seem to give good sup/res.

How would you trade them? Looking at a level in hindsight and saying "good sup/res" is all well and good, but how would you use them to make money? Blindly fade every level? What are your targets and stops in that case?