Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Reaver

Anyone know a broker/platform that can help with this type of order?

Okey doke,

I am taking the Cisco futures course, and as ant and a few others who have taken the course know, one of the main strategies is a breakout strategy for swing trading.....Since I work during the day between about 11am-8pm, What I'm looking for is a broker that will allow me to set a stop or limit order at the breakout price, and if that order gets executed, a stop loss will automatically be set. I don't want to enter a limit order (or stop order) and then have to place my stop loss order, and then leave for work since I cannot actively manage my trades, because of course, if the stop loss order is hit, and the breakout price order is not touch , I'll be going the wrong direction, which could become a sticky situation....I have seen MB Trading offer this (unfortunately they do not offer the contracts I am looking for) and Button Trader is EXACTLY what I'd be looking for, the only drawback is that Button Trader does not hold orders overnight, so that would rule out being able to use it for swing trade. According to the programmer I contacted, he states open positions are automatically closed at End of Day. Other than that, Button Trader would be what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any alternatives? I can't wait until I'm able to actively manage my trades, but until then.......

If my question didn't make enough sense, please let me know and I'll clarify....Thanks in advance!:D

So basically having 2 "1st triggers other" orders, right? Bracketing the trade and having one trigger at the breakout, triggering a stop order to go into working...but have 2 of those. What contracts are you looking to swing on?

Tin, exactly. As a matter of fact, I spoke with the programmer of button trader, and the live program holds overnight, just not the sim, so that's pretty much what I needed....but as far as what contracts, I'm not totally sure yet, as I am following the Cisco course, but MB Trading doesn't carry many of the contracts the Cisco data covers....so that's what made me say that. Thanks again for the help though man. Of course, I am always open to suggestions and new ideas, so if you did have anything that would fit the bill I'd love to hear! Thanks again

Tin,

Good point, I have heard alot of good things about ThinkorSwim...I may end up giving them a shot at some point...right now my main concern is being able to follow contracts the course data I am using allows me to follow, but I am going to check ToS out. Thanks again

Tin,

Good point, I have heard alot of good things about ThinkorSwim...I may end up giving them a shot at some point...right now my main concern is being able to follow contracts the course data I am using allows me to follow, but I am going to check ToS out. Thanks again

Currently with Thinkorswim trading eRL futures. They support cascading, first-triggers-all, first-triggers-OCO. The latter works as a bracketed order....once filled, the stop loss and profit target become "working" orders. The platform performs flawlessly (until the exchange goes down like the CBOT did recently). The thinkorswim complex orders will persist overnight. Keep in mind, you'll be paying-up commission-wise compared to IB.

Tin, exactly. As a matter of fact, I spoke with the programmer of button trader, and the live program holds overnight, just not the sim, so that's pretty much what I needed....but as far as what contracts, I'm not totally sure yet, as I am following the Cisco course, but MB Trading doesn't carry many of the contracts the Cisco data covers....so that's what made me say that. Thanks again for the help though man. Of course, I am always open to suggestions and new ideas, so if you did have anything that would fit the bill I'd love to hear! Thanks again

Hi Reaver,

Infinity AT can handle that job. Set a stop at breakout point. If executed, bracket, or trailing stop automatically sent to the exchange with OCO functionality active. One thing though, globex cancels all working orders at close 3:15 central for ES / YM. Order would have to be entered after 3:30 to work overnight. AT will accept GTC orders for accounts in excess of 25K, or for lesser accounts I can enter order for you, simply IM me with instructions and I will manually place order.

Best regards,

Tom

FYI Tom - Reaver has not been on this site in many months.

But, as you could tell, this thread you dug up was about 1.5 years old. LOL.

Things must be a little slow there. ;)

Ha,

pretty funny. i guess its been a long day.

Tom