Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheBigMan

Fap Turbo

Does anyone use automated software to trade Forex, I have been reading about many automated programs with grandiose performance being promised. I have come across about six. However, very little is being written from objective people about results.

Yes, I have used these -- quite a few I have tried. I kinda knew better intellectually but had to prove it out myself.

I can tell you I've never had success -- and certainly not even close to what is advertised.

With Fap I actually found it worked ok for a while but seems like the brokers sniffed it out once they must have sold thousands of them and they basically "broke" the strategies effectiveness. I'd say in my experience they were the closest to actually working and they just way oversold it. Not sure about newer version.

In general, there is a group of developers/marketers who keep cranking stuff out under different names - always with super slick websites - it's an arms race.

I would suggest you instead look for trading strategies where you know the rules - the "why" it's taking the trade and ones that rely on at least some small portion of subjectivity and trading skill. Those are much more likely to have a chance of working for you.

Then, use automation how it should be intended, to help you manage these type of trades - maybe moving stops or locking in profit, etc...

Just don't expect your computer to turn into a cash machine no matter what the ads say :)

Yes, I have used these -- quite a few I have tried. I kinda knew better intellectually but had to prove it out myself.

I can tell you I've never had success -- and certainly not even close to what is advertised.

With Fap I actually found it worked ok for a while but seems like the brokers sniffed it out once they must have sold thousands of them and they basically "broke" the strategies effectiveness. I'd say in my experience they were the closest to actually working and they just way oversold it. Not sure about newer version.

In general, there is a group of developers/marketers who keep cranking stuff out under different names - always with super slick websites - it's an arms race.

I would suggest you instead look for trading strategies where you know the rules - the "why" it's taking the trade and ones that rely on at least some small portion of subjectivity and trading skill. Those are much more likely to have a chance of working for you.

Then, use automation how it should be intended, to help you manage these type of trades - maybe moving stops or locking in profit, etc...

Just don't expect your computer to turn into a cash machine no matter what the ads say :)

I did hear that but also some folks said it was the setting which needed readjusting along with the currency pairs you chose. Those two things had a great impact on your outcome.

I did hear that but also some folks said it was the setting which needed readjusting along with the currency pairs you chose. Those two things had a great impact on your outcome.

If you want to make some money, its generally a good idea to ignore most of what other people say !

If you want to make some money, its generally a good idea to ignore most of what other people say !

Does that include you(Just kidding) But that is also true. Actually as a equity trader I have tunnel vision. price & volume is pretty much just it.

Indeed, to get the fantastic results they publish the systems are usually hugely curve fitted to historical data. There are lots of 'tricks' that the less scrupulous can use to produce fantastical results on historic data sadly things will unravel going forwards.

Indeed, to get the fantastic results they publish the systems are usually hugely curve fitted to historical data. There are lots of 'tricks' that the less scrupulous can use to produce fantastical results on historic data sadly things will unravel going forwards.

I don't know. I do think that with Forex, successful automated trading is possible with controlled losses..

I don't know. I do think that with Forex, successful automated trading is possible with controlled losses..

Sure it is though you need a robust system and preferably to diversify (that will prevent many a wipe out). Funnily enough simple systems with few variables/parameters tend to be more robust. If it only works with tweaked parameters chances are it is garbage. You need to run it on out of sample data or it will fail going forwards. The only real way of doing this is seeing live results from a real account. You could run tests yourself but you will never know if they optimized on data you are testing against. Take a look at LS Chads video sequence here to see how easy it is to put together profitable systems.......until you run it on out of sample data. I just read Curtis Faiths Turtle book on holidays, good read if you are interested in evaluating systems.