Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Dharmik Team

Do Moon Phases Influence Financial Markets?

Hi all,

We will find out when these events happened last year.

We will analyze each graphic and understand the influence these moon phases have on the evolution of the market. Finally we will draw some conclusions to help us make financial predictions.

What full moon and new moon is?

A lunar phase is in fact the appearance of the illuminated part of the Moon as seen from the Earth. The lunar phase varies as the moon orbits the Earth accordingly to the positions of the Moon, Earth and Sun related to each other.

Every 28 days the Moon comes between the Sun and Earth. This means that the Moon is in conjunction with the Sun. At this specific moment the Moon is not visible to the eye, but the original meaning of “New Moon” refers to the first visible crescent of the Moon after conjunction. The Moon can be now seen over the western horizon and each night, the illuminated part gets bigger until, after 14 days, almost a whole hemisphere of the Moon can be seen. This is in fact the moment of the Full Moon. The Moon is now on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun. This means that the Moon is in opposition with the Sun. The Full Moon rises over the horizon after the sunset. During the next 14 days the illuminated part decreases until the Moon is again in conjunction with the Sun (the next New Moon). The exact time for the Full Moon and the New Moon is determined using a mathematical formula and can be found in the ephemerides.

HAVE A GREEN DAY

I always had a problem connecting these type of things/astrology, etc... to trading.

However, I did follow someones commentary years ago who used all things astral and they actually did a pretty decent job predicting the macro markets.

I just had a hard time following the correlation.

MMS

This could be an interesting thread after all

Thanks MMS for keeping an Open Mind (OM) hope the Skeptics do as well & not just kill off this thread. I am quite ignorant on Astro Science and do not want to go on any kind of belief alone but acquire some knowledge pertinent to markets

Hi Dharmik Team thanks for starting this thread, I always was intrigued and wanted to learn more on this ever since I talked with Larry Pesavanto in his seminar on Patterns & Fibs in one of the London University. This could be a good chance, hope the learning begins . . .

Ta Minoo

This could be an interesting thread after all

Thanks MMS for keeping an Open Mind (OM) hope the Skeptics do as well & not just kill off this thread. I am quite ignorant on Astro Science and do not want to go on any kind of belief alone but acquire some knowledge pertinent to markets

Skeptics are always Open Minded, they simply don't turn off their BS Detectors. ;)

For eg, with regards to this thread...

It is quite reasonable for a trader to look for patterns of market behavior that can be exploited for profit.

It takes an unreasonable leap of faith to conclude that the Moon's position relative to the Sun... is the CAUSE of it. (or Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, etc.) :roll eyes:

Just like we don't need to know WHY Divergences on MACD work enough percent of times to be used profitably...

Just like we don't need to know WHY Fibonacci Retracement ratios of recent swings can be used as good exit/entry points...

We DON'T NEED to know why an Astrological pattern works.

:2c:

Skeptic in relation to that this people are here to push some product or service only

Rather than to share and teach or take an educational approach.

My understanding of Astro Science is one of the most ancient knowledge, pre-dates any modern religion era

I do believe that emotions effect the markets and would like to investigate /study further if planetary action effect human emotions

If I want to be skeptic about something than I would like to obtain the knowledge first and keep open mind till than

and still repectfully it would be more of an private nature rather than of public as no knowledge is complete

Without the knowledge Sir its only the BS; And its not the other way round!

Everyone is free to choose to remain 'Ignorant or Pursue knowledge', Equally.

---------------------

Thanks for the links and invitation I will pursue them further you should have put it in the forum others could have benefited but I respect your wish

Yes I agree with you that the Forum environment should remain open to learning and sharing first rather than of anything else your comments are quite good please refer them to the moderator.

Regards Minoo

As I mentioned earlier -- as much as I have some of my own resistance to taking the leap to thinking there can be patterns influenced this way, I will standby the fact that one of the better macro predictors I've ever seen of the markets said he used astrology, etc... to make his predictions. As much as I'm a skeptic I haven't seen anyone have that level of accuracy so it's made me keep an open mind.

As mentioned, just because something might be ancient doesn't mean it can't be good or even better. I was very surprised reading a review of a new book talking about how many generations ago, despite all of the world class training we have now, that it was very common for some people to run faster than Usain Bolt, or jump well beyond our current world records, or for example to have Roman soldiers run 1.5 marathon distances in a day burdened with full equipment. I know, crazy connection to astro and the markets -- just a point that maybe "you never know"

Does that make me a believer? Not really since I still don't get the connection personally but I won't close my mind to it. As long as it isn't being sold as another get rich quick approach, etc...

MMS

I always had a problem connecting these type of things/astrology, etc... to trading.

However, I did follow someones commentary years ago who used all things astral and they actually did a pretty decent job predicting the macro markets.

I just had a hard time following the correlation.

MMS

MMS,

Why have you had a problem? Simply start following and tracking lunar phases and start believing that it has an effect on the market. No problem

MM