Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Guest rwalkerx

Seminars vs Mentorships

Guest rwalkerx

I don't know about most of you guys but I'm not good learning in a GROUP environment. Have you ever known anyone who was to home schooled? Well they were always the smartest guys I've met. There is something to be said for 1 on 1 mentorships.. or even small groups. I've been to 10+ trading seminars. My trading did not start to turn around until I completed a mentorship in PA with a guru. It was expensive ($5,000) but I'd lost that in one week of trading.

The trading expo's I went to were just a bunch of system vendors trying to grab a few bucks for their product.

RW

Although I had 2 mentors in the past, most of my learning was done alone. I found myself alot more productive and tend to push myself harder in an isolated environment.

I never attended a seminar nor do I plan to. One thing about mentorship which I keep telling traders is that you are basically paying to absorb the mentors trading style. If his/her style doesnt fit yours, this could become a conflict in the learning process. For example, my first mentor used alot of moving averages, sector analysis, and fibs. I grabbed the concept of identifying key levels but it did not fit my style 100%.

In my opinion, most seminars are overpriced and are a waste of money. I had the opportunity to watch some from on DVD's but never found it any useful.

Yeah my perspective is that cramming information like that found in a seminar is not a good way to learn either. No way to grasp all that info in such a short time frame. Not to mention they are generally VERY expensive. I wouldn't mind sitting in on some to compound knowledge, etc, but no way am I going to pay $2-3000 for the experience.

One thing about mentorship which I keep telling traders is that you are basically paying to absorb the mentors trading style. If his/her style doesnt fit yours, this could become a conflict in the learning process.

That's a very important point James & the key to how (fast) a trader will develop, if at all.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that unless the trader-mentor relationship is in synch, the progress will be sluggish at best, virtually redundant at worst.

A mentor worth their salt will/should undertake a rigorous pre-training analysis before agreeing to an association. And one of the most important aspects of that informal assessment will revolve around the psychological make-up of the attendee.

That's where the trainee will 'fly or die'

That's a very important point James & the key to how (fast) a trader will develop, if at all.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that unless the trader-mentor relationship is in synch, the progress will be sluggish at best, virtually redundant at worst.

A mentor worth their salt will/should undertake a rigorous pre-training analysis before agreeing to an association. And one of the most important aspects of that informal assessment will revolve around the psychological make-up of the attendee.

That's where the trainee will 'fly or die'

I noticed Alexander Trading does an extensive profile, etc on you before they agree to have you begin mentorship with them....