Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

rxs0005

Intersting Article : Well-oiled Machine That Did Little but Print Money, Day After D

On Wall Street, they were all known as "quants," traders and financial engineers who used brain-twisting math and superpowered computers to pluck billions in fleeting dollars out of the market. Instead of looking at individual companies and their performance, management and competitors, they use math formulas to make bets on which stocks were going up or down. By the early 2000s, such tech-savvy investors had come to dominate Wall Street, helped by theoretical breakthroughs in the application of mathematics to financial markets, advances that had earned their discoverers several shelves of Nobel Prizes.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704509704575019032416477138.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories

Hmmm. reminds me of long term capital and the program traders getting blamed during the 1987 stock market crash.

It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same.

The best quant quote I have seen was from a quant guy who has been around and been successful for a long period (cant remember who...sorry) but he said the key is to know exactly how your model worked and when to use common sense and turn off the model.

thanks, interesting article.... I think I will get the book.

Edited by DugDug

...when to use common sense and turn off the model...

They really stay the same.

The "inventor" of Gaussian coppula always warned, what would (not could) happen, if too many put this model into practice.