Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Trader P/L 2010

Hey Dinero,

Great job on a great week. You have to be proud of that.....

Jason

SIM

+$134

attachment.php?attachmentid=19853&stc=1&d=1267812251

attachment.php?attachmentid=19856&stc=1&d=1267812959

Positive but a bit disappointing. Picked the oil turn around at 8:00 but my entry wasn't good enough to have patience through waves down. Good learning week. Getting more comfortable with my method but still working on some specific rules for handling mid day trend reversals. Shooting for a better week next week.

OEC's demo is very realistic. They've done an excellent job at creating a similar to real-time trading environment.

In this thread I showed an example.

Not trying to argue, and I like OEC, but it is not really as good as, say, Ninja for simulated trades.

OEC in sim will almost always fill my target the first time it touches the price. In real life, price almost always has to trade at least one tick through before it fills.

Same with a limit order entry.

I have to keep notes as I sim trade. If I get a sim fill on my entry, but price just touches my limit, I will note that as a no entry. If price hits my target and fills but does not tick past my target price, I have to continue as if it didn't fill and then it goes on my log as a no fill and if it falls back and stops me out, I will enter that as a complete loss, rather than a "fill and move stop up".

Occasionally you get the fills in real life like that, but it's better to assume that in sim mode, if it doesn't trade through, you don't get the fill.

I have traded both OEC real and sim and have a great deal of experience with this. It would be nice if there was a way to set the orders in sim so that it would need to trade one tick past. then you would know for sure that your fills are realistic...

It's not a big deal, you just need to be honest with yourself about the trades as you record them.:2c:

I guess this isn't the thread for this discussion though....

Not trying to argue, and I like OEC, but it is not really as good as, say, Ninja for simulated trades.

OEC in sim will almost always fill my target the first time it touches the price. In real life, price almost always has to trade at least one tick through before it fills.

Same with a limit order entry.

I have to keep notes as I sim trade. If I get a sim fill on my entry, but price just touches my limit, I will note that as a no entry. If price hits my target and fills but does not tick past my target price, I have to continue as if it didn't fill and then it goes on my log as a no fill and if it falls back and stops me out, I will enter that as a complete loss, rather than a "fill and move stop up".

Occasionally you get the fills in real life like that, but it's better to assume that in sim mode, if it doesn't trade through, you don't get the fill.

I have traded both OEC real and sim and have a great deal of experience with this. It would be nice if there was a way to set the orders in sim so that it would need to trade one tick past. then you would know for sure that your fills are realistic...

It's not a big deal, you just need to be honest with yourself about the trades as you record them.:2c:

I guess this isn't the thread for this discussion though....

This might matter on futures like ES and if you use limit orders more often. I always enter with sell/buy stops so I only want to enter when price goes through my entry order. Oil moves much different than the ES so the whole touching a price and reversing idea doesn't matter much unless you are doing some small tick scalping which I am not doing. I do remember when I first started trading futures and was trading the ES on SIM that I got some fills on just a touch. One reason I stopped trading the ES was that the SIM for the fills/exits wasn't realistic and once I saw how other futures moved I couldn't stand to watch the ES tick back and forth.:)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

SIM

+$572

attachment.php?attachmentid=19879&stc=1&d=1268068224

attachment.php?attachmentid=19878&stc=1&d=1268067557

Much better number of trades today. I probably need to shoot for more $600 days if I want to get my average daily profit at $400. My desire to keep my profits if I win my first couple trades keeps me for being confident about good setups later on in the day when in fact many of those later trades have some good intraday price action to justify the direction of the move. I need to work on how to handle this.

5aa70fe29e4eb_3-8-201003.png.bac008451d3477180322a1551ecd22fd.png

5aa70fe2a1382_3-8-201004.png.1339d02a14e792b2f2bfe09838a990d0.png

another small loss -120. I pulled up my charts from last fall and something obvious stuck out! I was only trading CL - nothing else. I was FOCUSED! Going back to my bread and butter trades - just shorting trend line breaks of CL at resistance - ideally with shooting stars!

SIM

-$526

attachment.php?attachmentid=19890&stc=1&d=1268163387

attachment.php?attachmentid=19891&stc=1&d=1268163387

Rough day. Almost quit when I was breakeven but didn't. Very small range days like this suck the trades out of me because I can't ever get any movement off my entry except in the morning reaffirming to myself that I should mostly stick with morning trading. Of course tomorrow is oil inventory so we'll have to see if we get the usual tight range before it comes out.

5aa70fe36c914_3-9-201001.png.0709e12f2690d62439cb0fe4ba848fec.png

5aa70fe36f15e_3-9-201002.png.414e8e19532fa1c04d95251bfde74d89.png

I will start posting again this week hopefully but from my acct. and not my brothers which is what I was posting here in the 2010 thread. It is hard to enter and manage trades on two DOM at the same time.

I posted how I was working on an equity bot, I had a great idea imo for a for an es, euro and crude system that backtests very well, if it goes live I will post results here as well.

Edited by bathrobe

SIM

-$526

attachment.php?attachmentid=19890&stc=1&d=1268163387

attachment.php?attachmentid=19891&stc=1&d=1268163387

Rough day. Almost quit when I was breakeven but didn't. Very small range days like this suck the trades out of me because I can't ever get any movement off my entry except in the morning reaffirming to myself that I should mostly stick with morning trading. Of course tomorrow is oil inventory so we'll have to see if we get the usual tight range before it comes out.

Dinero, do you consider a $1.50 move in Oil narrow, I only ask because these type days offer a great opportunity imo if you were to trade the pullback. :2c:

Anyhow, I wish you continued success :)

EDIT I noticed after I posted you may have been referring to Nat Gas which I did not look at.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19899&stc=1&d=1268196432

CLM.thumb.PNG.924b683627372a5191ff8533fcd4f5b7.PNG

Dinero, do you consider a $1.50 move in Oil narrow.

$1.50 move for the morning is not narrow. I normally struggle with 25-30 tick ranges on oil unless I am expecting such a tight range.

Yesterday, there were just a few too many times for my liking where price got stuck in a range. I did well in the morning (green square) but not in the blue squares noted on the chart. I was trading pullbacks for the first bit of trading and was up $300 or so. I just need to do some more work on how to avoid tight chop zone range trading and how to adjust my entries depending on how the day is shapping up to be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19906&stc=1&d=1268242929

5aa70fe3d76a8_3-10-201005.thumb.png.ded2388afecc57beb315fdc015e79726.png

Today I shorted CL 7 cents below the HOD was very confident in my analysis and then kept my stop too tight. Unfortunately what could have been a huge winner turned into a scalp for 15 cents :crap::crap::crap:

I have been moving more and more in the direction of currencies, fixed income and physical commodities (CL and maybe PM's) rather than last year when all I watched was the ES and DAX.

This is my account and not my brothers; which I was posting earlier. This is es, cl and 6E.

I have downsized my size from 2009 because I re-analyzed how much leverage/risk I am comfortable with. I am also entering more trades per day.......I average ~ 3 per market

attachment.php?attachmentid=19909&stc=1&d=1268246434

310.PNG.de904d3ceda3addaa48161ae7a7a72bf.PNG

Today I shorted CL 7 cents below the HOD was very confident in my analysis and then kept my stop too tight. Unfortunately what could have been a huge winner turned into a scalp for 15 cents :crap::crap::crap:

Got 1 up on ya! I shorted 4¢ from the high of the day and bailed with just a 10¢ profit.

:crap: :crap: :crap:

Got 1 up on ya! I shorted 4¢ from the high of the day and bailed with just a 10¢ profit.

:crap: :crap: :crap:

I feel your pain, the ensuing drop was very tough to watch for both of us.

Chris

SIM

+$450

attachment.php?attachmentid=19913&stc=1&d=1268252397

attachment.php?attachmentid=19914&stc=1&d=1268252470

Positive ending but should have been a $2,000 day. I am pretty sure I am no longer going to trade Wednesday before inventory unless I work out an alternate strategy for trading tight ranges.

I am finding the biggest problem right now in my trading is my expectations for the day's trading is driven by the last few days. I'll review a day's trading and note that I should watch out for certain setups or whatever type of refinement, however the notes I take and learn from the trading day typically would be useful if the day was similar to the day I just had. I need more specific refinements to entries that only apply on certain types of days. Today had a great reversal that I should have taken at the turn as Bathrobe and EB took but I got so used to past days of oil making very slow progress after the reversal that I passed on it. I'm having a hard time writing my thoughts on this but you get the idea.

5aa70fe3e7cae_3-10-201004.png.a4366cbca3c01d290d3463451b11326c.png

5aa70fe3ea12d_3-10-201003.png.e7ea37efd548cd1b4c4f1c76b7a418dc.png

Dinero,

From my perspective, you've been doing AWESOME. I only wish I could be such a good discretionary trader (like yourself). Hell.... Just to be able to have the time to teach myself how to trade in a discretionary fashion would be wonderful.

Way to go!!!!!

Jason

SIM

+$450

attachment.php?attachmentid=19913&stc=1&d=1268252397

attachment.php?attachmentid=19914&stc=1&d=1268252470

Positive ending but should have been a $2,000 day. I am pretty sure I am no longer going to trade Wednesday before inventory unless I work out an alternate strategy for trading tight ranges.

I am finding the biggest problem right now in my trading is my expectations for the day's trading is driven by the last few days. I'll review a day's trading and note that I should watch out for certain setups or whatever type of refinement, however the notes I take and learn from the trading day typically would be useful if the day was similar to the day I just had. I need more specific refinements to entries that only apply on certain types of days. Today had a great reversal that I should have taken at the turn as Bathrobe and EB took but I got so used to past days of oil making very slow progress after the reversal that I passed on it. I'm having a hard time writing my thoughts on this but you get the idea.

Dinero,

From my perspective, you've been doing AWESOME. I only wish I could be such a good discretionary trader (like yourself). Hell.... Just to be able to have the time to teach myself how to trade in a discretionary fashion would be wonderful.

Way to go!!!!!

Jason

Thanks Jason. Still need to move to real money trading and cut down the number of trades per day. If I can do those to things and keep my current results, then I will be happy.

-$680. But, I'll take it. I really thought it was going to end up being much, much worse than this. Check out my daily P/L (1 minute) graph. I was so pissed at around 12:30, when I was down $2700. When my day starts out down and continues getting worse and worse as the day wears on, I just want to bury my head and the sand and cry.

Funny though as time rolls on..... I can remember when a -$680 day would be absolutley horrific for me. These days, it's just another day.

Jason

PS-I've attached my 2010 P/L graph again.......

5aa70fe414071_3-10-20106-55-37PM.png.838d04cbb53526662377fe119f95e715.png

5aa70fe420f30_3-10-20107-00-48PM.thumb.png.0db0e248d658a4c0573eebaf7d62fe75.png

5aa70fe42db20_3-10-20107-01-12PM.thumb.png.78460906c69929902bc24f6f02816ce5.png

Good luck Dinero. I look forward to the day you go live.

Jason

Thanks Jason. Still need to move to real money trading and cut down the number of trades per day. If I can do those to things and keep my current results, then I will be happy.

SIM

-$270

attachment.php?attachmentid=19937&stc=1&d=1268336373

attachment.php?attachmentid=19938&stc=1&d=1268336373

Once I started playing for the small moves I made some money. I think I might adopt some kind of plan where I have larger profit targets for the 1st hour and then reduce those for the 2nd out of trading based on some price action criteria. Right before the close, 1,800 contracts were traded on a one minute bar and the bar only moved 5 ticks in either direction. That was the story of most of the day. Everybody apparently decided 82.10 is the right price for crude oil and supply and demand were equal. Not good for the speculators. Actually, when I looked at 6E and some other futures they had a similar wedge for the day.

I'll probably stop trading natural gas unless I happen to be watching during a great setup or I might still trade it right after inventory.

5aa70fe4755fb_3-11-201001.png.02cb369d03f14b6d1f2c81fb6a9267f7.png

5aa70fe477d77_3-11-201002.png.67348e485c3a5ea8bdd93310c363e6ec.png