Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Frank

Its 2009 -- Video Tutorials Best

Personally, I find visual learning the easiest.

I am just throwing out an idea --- what about creating a general traderslab coding forum channel on youtube with tutorials on various topics? I set up an account on youtube so there can be no excuses-- you can log in as

traderslab1

password is:

donkey00 (those are zeros)

just throwing it out there --- thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Personally, I find visual learning the easiest.

I am just throwing out an idea --- what about creating a general traderslab coding forum channel on youtube with tutorials on various topics? I set up an account on youtube so there can be no excuses-- you can log in as

traderslab1

password is:

donkey00 (those are zeros)

just throwing it out there --- thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Like it, quick and easy to punch out vids these days. There will be lots of "oh wow, never thought he'd sound like that in RL" going on though :rofl:

I was struggling to learn Visual Basic (VBA) by myself (from books and written online turtorials) and then I got a DVD and suddenly it was easy --- watching someone else navigate the code editor and give pointers is the best way to learn, imo. and with youtube, its free -- Google is just eating losses to provide this service.

Hi Frank

Do you mind me asking which DVD you bought for Visual basic...?

Cheers mate

All the Best

John

I was struggling to learn Visual Basic (VBA) by myself (from books and written online turtorials) and then I got a DVD and suddenly it was easy --- watching someone else navigate the code editor and give pointers is the best way to learn, imo. and with youtube, its free -- Google is just eating losses to provide this service.

I started with VBA for excel, not VB, because I thought I could start to understand programming concepts in an environment I am familiar with and therefore make it easier. This was a good move that I would recommend as you can really see what is going on with the code clearly in that environment. The statement structures are near identical to VB. You can also apply basic Excel functions within the code editor when that is more efficient. These built-in functions are incredibly fast, even with large data sets -- much faster than writing loops longhand.

Basic Programming Comes Down to a Combination of:

Branching Statements: ie if/then

Looping Statements: ie, For x = 0 to 100

Array Manipulation

Variable combinations

These are all things you can learn to do in excel VBA and then once you 'get the concepts' -- move on. I struggled through some poorly written books on VBA and then this video showed what a good teacher can do....

Amazon.com: Excel VBA and Macros with MrExcel (Video Training) (9780789739384): Bill Jelen: Books