Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

To Programmers and Those Seeking Help

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback from the TL programmers and those who are seeking programming help to develop your strategies, indicators, trade systems, etc...

TL is a free site but requests such as programming can often be hard as this is time consuming for the programmer. As a result, I am contemplating whether to offer a commercial service market place in which those seeking programming help can hire programmers directly at a specified fee. This could be in a format where you would submit a request and then programmers would bid on that project. This does not necessarily have to be restricted to programming. It could be merely seeking direct mentorship or closer help from fellow members as well.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

This is a good idea James, however, I think that it could lead to more problems than it solves. What's to stop a bunch of scammers from advertising their services here (as they already try to do)? If someone spends enough time here, they'll be able to tell who the programmers are, and they can just inquire directly via PM. I am still open to the idea though.

Thanks diablo,

Well the beauty of it is that those looking for help can easily identify the provider through the forums. Has he been active? Is he trustworthy? etc...

Obviously more long time posters will have credibility over first timers. Also wouldnt escrow services solve alot of the headaches?

I like the idea. As a long-time interested party in the "open source" world, I have seen this kind of thing work well in the past. Though I doubt the "programmers" would significantly boost their income in this way. If you ensured that any code written this way was 1) paid for ("sponsored" may be a better word) by the requester or group of requesters but 2) publicly available thereafter then you are following a well trodden path - one that the developers of "Linux" etc have followed for years.

Internet is the medium...

we know for many years that it is replacing the newspaper, radio, fax, telex, telephone, courier, the dictionary, the library, the encyclopedia...

today, even email is at risk ! People are transitioning to FaceBook and Twitter !

change we must... we must change

James: I applaud you of new ideas... a constant stream of new ideas.

I would say... whatever idea it is, go for it.

This is where good people meet,

This is where good people connect,

This is where thoughts are exchanged and progress made.

TL can be the enabler

You can make this the medium where people CAN meet and connect, and prosper.

Go for it !

James,

How about a free and open market place where anybody seeking to buy, sell or trade any product or service that is market related can post.

Products and services could prosper or fail based on replies and reviews.

Members would quickly learn to avoid super spammers, we could all learn about new products and services plus reviews by our learned members would be excellent due diligence for us all.

NinjaTrader offers pro programmers on their forum already, so it would be redundant for NT's C# language at the least.

Why would that be redundant? Around the corner where I live we have a Kroger grocery store as well as a Tom Thumb grocery store. Would you say one is redundant because they both offer the same goods?

Why would that be redundant? Around the corner where I live we have a Kroger grocery store as well as a Tom Thumb grocery store. Would you say one is redundant because they both offer the same goods?
Do you have pro programmers for NT around the corner? If not where would you go if you needed one? All I'm saying is it may not be worth the bother if someone seeking answers for C# goes to the NT forum anyway. Edited by Gord

Do you have pro programmers for NT around the corner? If not where would you go if you needed one? All I'm saying is it may not be worth the bother if someone seeking answers for C# goes to the NT forum anyway.

You see no benefit for programmers to have multiple areas and marketing outlets available to offer their services?

You see no benefit for programmers to have multiple areas and marketing outlets available to offer their services?
Oh I am sure the programmers would be more than happy to advertise their services here at TL as well. I am just saying it may not be worth the extra work for the forum operators here seeing as anyone doing C# programming for NT would already be familiar with NT's forum and their pro list. But that's TL's call. Just thought I'd throw that in to consider.

As an alternative, it just might be easier and more practical to offer a link to NT's pro page...

That is an excellent idea Soultrader.

I use eSignal and they have a panel of dedicated programmers both in-house and independent and they do excellent stuff. But one notices that there are many gaps and unfilled requests. This happens primarily because the established panel of programmers are reluctant to take on tiny projects and quite inflexible on their rates

Another model that is very interesting is the eLance.

The way I see it there could be a) individual requests b) common requirements for which the costs could be shared.

Jose

That is an excellent idea Soultrader.

I use eSignal and they have a panel of dedicated programmers both in-house and independent and they do excellent stuff. But one notices that there are many gaps and unfilled requests. This happens primarily because the established panel of programmers are reluctant to take on tiny projects and quite inflexible on their rates

Another model that is very interesting is the eLance.

The way I see it there could be a) individual requests b) common requirements for which the costs could be shared.

Jose

Hi Jose,

Thank you very much for your feedback! I am aware of eLance but wanted to offer an arena specialized in trading related programming. I figured with the community base we have on TL, this model may work. Also note that we have a number of very talented programmers on board with us. One thing all members should know is that if we decide to offer this function, it would be commercial in order to support the ongoing costs of the system, support, and maintenance.

Still doing some research on my end but should have some answers shortly. Thanks!