Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Frank

Building Customized Dashboards in Excel

example of Market Profile Type of Dashboard Lets see some of yours

While not presented in Excel here is our idea of a real market dashboard.

The top line shows longer term trader commitment so far that session as well as current trade flow as measured by contracts per minute.

The red, yellow and green bars are buy/sell signals in 11 different time frames and a are constantly changing throughout the session.

Blue bars on the left show the percentage of time of day normalized volume in 6 different time frames.

The pie charts demonstrate the buying and selling during the most recent blocks of trade and are constantly pulsing with surges of buying and selling power.

The price ladder in the middle shows current and recent prices.

The red and green bars on the right show time of session normalized trader commitment over 6 time frames.

The balance of trade is shown on the bottom left and price on the bottom right.

GHUDGG.jpg

cool graphics, thanks for posting.

can you tell me how the '% average time of day volume' is computed? I get the idea -- just curious how its being more precisely calculated. I assume that is something like 'this volume bar as a percentage of the past (5) days average volume during this same time bar' ?..?..?

cool graphics, thanks for posting

can you tell me how the '% average time of day volume' is computed? I get the idea -- just curious how its being more precisely calculated. I assume that is something like 'this volume bar as a percentage of the past (5) days average volume during this same time bar' ?..?..?

Thanks for the kind words.

We divide the day session of the ES into 405 windows of the appropriate length for each of the six different time frames and then compare volume & commitment to that same (each of six) lengths, updated every minute throughout the 405 minute session to the same levels of volume and commitment over the previous 62 days. It tells us how current activity in 6 different time frames compares to activity in those same time frames - at those same times of day in the past - compare to today's activity.

The idea is that what is a lot of either volume or commitment during the middle of the sesion is actually very little during the first or last parts of the session - hence "time of day normalized."

This comparison is a help in spotting "out of sequence" activity in either volume or commercial trader commitment.

BTW - I notice San Francisco - we moved to Las Vegas from Hillsborough - just south of you - Cheers

Edited by UrmaBlume

following up on the graphics --- I was curious what that dashboard was written in --- ie, which technologies create a richer user interface such as that one? the key with dashboards is to customize it to the particular users style -- because everyones is a bit different --- but the foundation technologies would be the common ground, do you know which were used?

following up on the graphics --- I was curious what that dashboard was written in --- ie, which technologies create a richer user interface such as that one? the key with dashboards is to customize it to the particular users style -- because everyones is a bit different --- but the foundation technologies would be the common ground, do you know which were used?

While we deploy several versions, this particular version is driven by data exported from Trade Station on a tick by tick basis via our own dlls to the application itself which was written in C++.