Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

emptyvault

What EL Code Should I Use ?

hello .

Is there any code in EL to find out the value count from the bar when I opened the position ?

For example , if I've just opened a position , long position ,

I want to set the stop lost point at the lowest low within the last 4 bars from this entry bar (including this bar) .

Is there any reserved function/word for me to do this ?

Besides , is there any candlestick pattern function that can let me use too ?

Thanks in advance .

BarsSinceEntry

Returns a numerical value, indicating the number of bars since the initial entry into the specified position.

Usage

BarsSinceEntry( PosBack )

Where: PosBack - a numerical expression, specifying the position:

0 - open position;

1 - one position back (the last position closed);

2 - two positions back, etc.

If PosBack is not specified, a value for the open position will be returned.

Note

This function can only be used in signals.

Examples

Assign a value, indicating the number of bars since the current position has been entered, to Value1 variable:

Value1 = BarsSinceEntry;

Assign a value, indicating the number of bars since the most recently closed position has been entered, to Value1 variable:

Value1 = BarsSinceEntry( 1 );

Source: EasyLanguage manual

Edited by Tams

Be aware that the behavior of BarsSinceEntry will be different

depending on whether the strategy order was generated using the 'this bar' or 'next bar' order action.

For 'this bar' strategy orders:

The value of BarsSinceEntry is not updated at the close of the current bar but continues to return the bars ago of an existing strategy position.

For example, if no previous strategy position exists on the current bar (containing the 'this bar' strategy order code) BarsSinceEntry returns 0 if no previous strategy position exists or returns the number of bars since entry of an existing strategy position.

When recalculated on the next bar, BarsSinceEntry returns a 1 to indicate that the strategy position was established 1 bar ago.

For example, if the strategy is long and a "sell short this bar" order is executed, BarsSinceEntry will return the number of bars since the long position was initiated when the code runs on the bar of short entry.

For 'next bar' strategy orders:

The value of BarsSinceEntry returns a bars ago value of 0 at the close of the current bar (containing the 'next bar' strategy order code) and also reports a 0 on the next bar.

For example, if the strategy is long and a next bar order is executed in the current bar then, when the code runs at the close of the current bar, BarsSinceEntry will be 0 since 0 bars have passed since the short entry.

Source: EasyLanguage manual

sorry sir , seems it is not what I want ,

I make example to express more clearly .

Let say , if it is a 5 minutes bar , from first bar - 10:05am , then 10:10 , then 10:15 , then 10:20 ....

The fourth bar show a buy in signal and highlight (whatever).

the value I want is the the lowest low of these 4 bars as a stop lost value, that means some combination of functions to return this value . Barsince seems only return the number of bars , not the price .

Or do you mean I should use it to write several lines to get the value I want ? I cannot figure out .....:roll eyes:

Something like that should work:

vars: MP(0), StopLoss(0);

MP  = MarketPosition;

If MP[1] <> 1 and MP = 1  then  {new buy}
begin
StopLoss = LowestLow(Low,4);
end;

Sell next bar at stoploss stop;

If MP <> 1 then StopLoss = 0;  {Reset StopLoss value when flat}

Probably better ways to do that, but should give you something to work from.