Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Nov. 6, 2006 Market Thoughts???

I was gone for the day and looks like we missed a nice trend day. On the market profile chart the YM formed a P profile. During a downtrend this can indicate a short covering.

On the daily charts however, price looks as if it bounced of the trendline.

Are we seeing a continuation of the trend? Or was today a short covering?

1106pprofile.jpg.049ec202db5eb826173f015d621c8415.jpg

I pointed out in the chat room was a double-bottom breakout early in the morning and confirmed on ER2. Target is 771. After that, no idea.

You can see from this chart also there was a bullish divergence on Force Index made on the 2nd bottom. Price is king and volume is queen! Long live the king and queen!

NEWBIE-TRADER-ER2-2006-11-06-TRADING-PLAN.gif

Thanks Torero. Ill add a new thread in the indicators forum. Did you code this yourself? Would you happen to have a description of what this does as well? Also.. I want to ask you a question on the settings. If I am using a 233 tick chart would you recommend making the setting lengths to around 5-6? Thanks

I didn't write it but not too difficult. It was taken from Alexander Elder's book "Trading for a living."

Best way to explain it is showing the formula itself:

Volume * (Close - Close[1])

This is similar to momentum indicator except it adds volume as an equal importance. Basically, the difference of the close of yesterday (or bar) and the close of today multiply by today's volume (interchange day to bar or vice versa). So the movement of the price with that volume tells how much impact volume had in moving price bar to bar. The bigger the movement, the higher reading the indicator will show, provided the volume remains the same. If the close stagnates, the indicators will show a small reading.

The divergence happens when either volume dries up while the price is moving in a steady pace or price difference was miniscule while volume remains the same. So from the previous chart I showed, prices reached the same level, but volume was diminishing. Or that the prices are stagnating producing more bars than necessary to form that 2nd bottom while volume remain the same. What can we infer from that? Lots of volume couldn't push prices further down for the 2nd hypothesis. The answer to 1st hypothesis is that prices was being pushed down by low volume. These 2 answers usually match with the common TA knowledge regarding volume.

I find the volume bars on the bottom of the chart very difficult to read, and volume average line doesn't help much either. Using force index averages out the volume and identifies divergence much easier.

Hope I explained it as well as Elder did (I don't have the book in front of me so had to use my own interpretation of it).