Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

.... But I did find an MP3 of a webinar she did on Mental Performance, and I thought I'd share it here.

I hope you enjoy it.

Best Wishes,

Thales

This was awesome. I finally got around to listening to it - thanks a lot for the share!

With kind regards,

MK

Hi Folks,

First, I want to thank patrader for the great charts showing how he tracks price action using trendlines and channels. I hope he doesn't mind if I add a my own take on the current 6E. It is not, I think, in any conflict with his approach.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19287&stc=1&d=1266336922

I have shown an example like this in the past where I draw a trend line along two or more lows of a rally after a sharp decline. I then cop and paste that trend line to the chart, anchoring it at the first high off the extreme low of the decline. This produces a very good target to exit any longs, a short entry point with a very, very tight stop, and it also helps one interpret the current and subsequent character of price action.

As Marko had mentioned here in the past, a good rule of thumb is that "if it channels, it is corrective," i.e. price action that is bounded by a channel tends to be either counter-trend or a consolidation prior to a continuation. In this case, price rallied and just within the past few minutes touched that upper trend line.

What price does next should be telling. If price falls from here, then I would expect the decline to carry to the lower trendline, and if the lower trend line breaks, I would be looking for at least a test of the most recent extreme low.

However, should price rest up here a bit and then break and hold above the trendline, then this is likely not merely a minor correction, but we should see a larger rally, which may in the end simply be a larger correction of the down trend, or it could be a resumption of the prior up trend that ended a few months ago.

So, below that upper trend line, I would favor lower prices, above that trend line, I would favor longs.

The fact that that is how I am looking at it currently does not mean that I am not completely wrong. But I have a buy stop at 1.3718, as I have been looking for lower US Dollar/higher Euro based upon my read of the daily price action.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fd16f75a_2010-02-166EChannel1.thumb.jpg.72bfa959e63427331035640e7cce00d4.jpg

... should price rest up here a bit and then break and hold above the trendline, then this is likely not merely a minor correction, but we should see a larger rally... I have a buy stop at 1.3718

We have the break, but we also need the hold. At any rate, here is how it looks - long with a 1R risk and a 5R profit target. It does not matter what happens, as the worst case is a 1R loss, which is always my worst case scenario. If this trade is a loss, I simply wai for thre next one and keep taking my swings.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19288&stc=1&d=1266337858

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fd17a5a0_2010-02-166EChannel2.thumb.jpg.3f8f74d1434f3eca046f4227388a8433.jpg

We have the break, but we also need the hold. At any rate, here is how it looks - long with a 1R risk and a 5R profit target.

We now have the break, and with the pullback to test the BO tickling 1.3715 and then attaining a new high, we have the hold. Risk is now -4 ticks, which is approximately .2R (2/10ths of 1R). So the risk is now 4 ticks for a 100 tick profit target.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19289&stc=1&d=1266338655

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fd1838b6_2010-02-166EChannel3.thumb.jpg.c67f9552efe6c320be4ad32e7d67cacb.jpg

We now have the break, and with the pullback to test the BO tickling 1.3715 and then attaining a new high, we have the hold. Risk is now -4 ticks, which is approximately .2R (2/10ths of 1R). So the risk is now 4 ticks for a 100 tick profit target.

Another shallow pullback with a thrust to new highs means the shorts are trapped (and more are starting to feel it with each passing tick). Stop is now at +1R.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19292&stc=1&d=1266340098

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fd19a8f0_2010-02-166EChannel4.thumb.jpg.1abbd5bf02d8b9a542ed58565ed4d938.jpg