Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

cowcool

Pros & Cons of Trading Emini Outside of Busy Hours

What are pros/cons of trading Emini outside of regulard hours (9:30-4:15)? ..

Cons

====

Low volume

Concerning low volume, I feel that if you only trade an account below $ 200.000,- it doesn't matter right because even in very low volume hours for example 5 AM , the volume is still much much more than $ 200.000,- right?. Correct me if I am wrong .

Other cons and pros please...

Sorry to bother you veterans for my newbie questions...

Thx!

I think you should ask James for your own forum area. ;)

Volume is a consideration, but should not be a deal killer IMO unless of course your methodology revolves around volume.

PROS TO TRADING GLOBEX HOURS:

* Very tradable, there is volume and trades going on

* Can position yourself for RTH

* Stops can be smaller than during RTH

* Everything is smaller - moves, profits, stops - can work to the advantage of someone that prefers smaller stops

* Some decent moves can occur when European markets open

CONS TO TRADING GLOBEX HOURS:

* Volume lower, which will normally result in smaller moves. If you are a quick momentum type trader, hard to accomplish here

* Have to be very patient - you can get a move, but could take hours to get there = can feel like watching paint dry

The trick for this is to use range bars as otherwise you are out of sync with the high volume part of the market. If you put up a range bar chart and compare it to a tick or volume or time chart you will easily see the advantage.

I don't generally trade the Emini S&P overnight, but I do use the overnight session to position myself for a trade that I've been waiting for. After doing my daily preparation at the end of each trading day, I identify several potential trading scenarios for the next day. If one of those scenarios set up in the overnight session, I'll take it. I'm not trading at the same level I do during regular hours - the volume is just too thin. Also worth noting is that I don't trade for ticks, I trade for multiple handles, so I would usually put my stop in and go back to sleep. But again, I don't do this often.