Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

andypap

Arrays Question

hi

does anybody knows how to assign the value of the last element of each column in an array in the first element of the following column:

array:myarray[9,n](0);

myarray[0,1]=myarray[9,0];

myarray[0,2]=myarray[9,1] etc till n i reached,and have the loop initiating the values assigned in myarray 0 column continuing the loop for the following columns essentially starting from last element of previous column which now is the first element in current column?

also is it possible to sum the values in an array row?

andypap, Please rephrase your question. Maybe do a 3 element representative example of all the loops and ops you want performed...thx

I always use this method in planning my codes:

1. write out ONE action at a time

2. write out ONE action per sentence

if you can do that, maybe I can help.

a simple for n = 1 to i loop should do what you require. If you need to manipulate rows and elements use nested loops (n = 1 to I and m = 1 to j:). To accumulate sums simply add the elements to a variable within the loop. As others have said I am not sure precisely what you want to do but loops will do it for you. You should be able to use the modulus function if you need an element to 'wrap round'. e.g. for n = 1 to 20 a[n] = a[mod(n+7)] shifts all elements back 9 places and wraps the first 7 elements to the end of the array.

thanks for the responses guys,i will try to exlpain more in detail.

i am quite new in el and its hard for me to understand everything at once so i need an actual example of the code lines..

here is what i try to accomplish:

array:myarray[9,n](0);

if the value assigned to myarray[9,0] through this loop is the close[10]

for value1=0 to 9 begin

myarray[value1,0]=close[value1];end;

then

i want to "reloop" in a manner that second column first element will pick up where last element of previous column was so the result will be:

myarray[0,1]=myarray[9,0][1];=close[11]

myarray[0,2]=myarray[9,1][1];=close[21]

my array[0,3]=myarray[9,2][1];=close[31] etc till n is reached.

essentialy this will carry the loop to jump to the first element of the following column as if it was " myarray[10,0]"etc.

then i want to be able to acces the values of anyrow number from

column 0 to column N in manner that i can sum

myarray[9,0]+myarray[9,1]+myarray[9,2] ....to n/N..

voila IF N=14 this is the 15min moving average of the close in one min chart if 1 min is the source data for the array.

its something similar to compressseries indicator in various software.

Edited by andypap

If you want to fill the array from the first element and once it gets to the last one then go back to the beginning again something like will do it.

Array[ Round(barnum/7,0) , mod(barnum,7) ] = close; // Fills a 7X7 array.

to sum the last N elements/closes

sum = sum + close - close[n]

This will be unstable until you have N bars

These will do the there stuff as data arrives.

To to loop through the array to get the sum (again 7*7) rather than store it as it arrives.

for n = 0 to 7-1 begin

for m = 0 to 7-1 begin

sum = sum + Array[n,m];

end;

end;

Still not sure exactly what you are up to but hopefully if you look at the ideas behind the above you should get a few yourself.

thanks blowfish.. the nested loop gave me a solution.

first i did a dynamic array and set maxlen to 390 via an input:seieslen(390);

then i used an if condition before the nested loop:

if .....then

for n=0 to serieslen-1 begin

myarray[n]=close[n];

for m=o to serieslen-1 begin

myarray[m]=myarray[n][m];

end;end;

plot1(myarray[serieslen-1];

that did the job of storing the values every 390 bars starting from current bar backwards,

if applyied to 1 min chart it gives you the close of last 1min bar of day and the first 389 have a value of zero.so if you sum the 390 bars what you get is the closing value of the last bar.if you sum 5*390 bars you have a 5 day mov average builded from 1 min bars.

so the indicator is working ok.

i am thinking though that this doesnt answer my second question of a more general form..

is it possible and how in EL to access the values of a row in a two dimension array of 7 columns lets say ( 0 to 6) in a manner as if they where the elements of a column?

i will try to make this visible

if the row is 10 of array:myarray[10,6];

then imagine these row elements accumulated as if they look like a column

array[10,0]

array[10,1]

array[10,2]

array[10,3]

down to

array[10,6]

thanks again

Not really sure what you are trying doing but something similar to

sum = 0