Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tattertots

Commissions Tax Question

I am a retail stock trader on Scottrade. Last year I paid over $4k in commissions.

How do I deduct those from my tax payment?

thanks

"The commission you pay when you buy stock isn’t deducted as an itemized deduction when you file your tax return. But that doesn’t mean you don’t get a tax benefit for paying a commission when you purchase some stock. The commission that you pay gets added to the rest of the cost of the stock and becomes part of the stock’s basis. The basis is the amount you use to compute your gain or loss when you sell the stock." from http://www.funwithtaxes.com/Past_Articles/3_06_00.htm

It can also depend on whether you are buying/selling as a hobby or as a business. Full-time traders whose sole income is trading can get other deductions.

Consult a tax pro w/ any serious questions though. Don't need Mr. IRS knocking on the door one day b/c someone on an internet board told you what to do.

Just to clear this up a little: For most of us the commissions are deducted from your capital gain (added to your loss). You do this by adding the buy commission to your cost and subtracting the sell commission from your proceeds of each transaction when filling out your form 1040 Schedule D.

For example if you bought one share for $100 and sold it for $200 and had a $10 commission on both the purchase and sale of the shares you'd report it as follows:

Sales Proceeds - $190 ($200 less $10 commission)

Cost basis = $110 ($100 plus $10 commission)

Net gain = $80