Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Sign in to follow this  
MidKnight

OSE, Nasdaq To Form Business Alliance

Just read this headline. I wonder what this might mean for the OSE, and more importantly, for us as traders.

"OSAKA (Nikkei)--The Osaka Securities Exchange said Wednesday it has agreed to form a business alliance with Nasdaq OMX Group Inc., which operates the Nasdaq stock market in the U.S."

Yea I heard this from the OSE guys last year. Not sure exactly what the deal is but I during the FIA here in Tokyo I attended a conference discussing the future of exchanges. Compared to the growth of the rest of the world, Japanese exchanges are not progressing at all. Regulations differ from many other exchanges as well as the exchange systems are outdated. TOCOM takes 3 secs of latency to get a fill. Thats how bad it is.

This alliance might be for OSE to use Nasdaq's system for options. I did hear info that OSE was planning on launching options. Also TFX is going to launch a mini Nikkei cash version sometime in 2009.

Hi James,

Thanks for the info. I thought TSE was supposed to have upgraded their systems by now? What sort of product is this mini nik cash thing? I assume TFX means Tokyo futures exchange?

TSE is replacing their options systems with LIFFE's system in July of 2009. TFX stands for Tokyo Financial Exchange. Another "why are you still in business" exchange with basically only one product, Euroyen futures, that kept them alive till recently. Launching the Exchange Forex Margin Contracts (also called Click365 in Japan) did go on to becoming a hit amongst the retail crowd.

The mini-Nikkei cash version from what I here will track the Nikkei Cash Index and not the futures. So basically a mini Nikkei ETF I think. Once I find out more info Ill let you know.