Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Ascender90

SMB Capital Training

Does anyone have any insight into the remote training program offered by SMB Capital? The program's listed price is $5,000, which doesn't seem too bad for training offered by a Wall Street firm. Is there an opportunity to trade the firm's capital at the end of training?

Thank you

I can't answer the question directly but I remember seeing SMB in one of the Wall Street Warriors series. Seemed like decent guys but can't say much more than that. If you find the series you might be able to get a look at their offices and such (due diligence work).

Does anyone have any insight into the remote training program offered by SMB Capital? The program's listed price is $5,000, which doesn't seem too bad for training offered by a Wall Street firm. Is there an opportunity to trade the firm's capital at the end of training?

Thank you

I don't know anything about them, but don't believe just because it is a Wall Street firm, their training will be good. Just because a firm is on Wall Street, does not mean they have credibility. Just look at the big mess many of these so called Wall Street firms are in...

Thank you

You definitely have a chance to trade the firm's capital. These are stock trading firms if I am correct. They will start you off trading 200 shares.

Yeah they trade equities. What's the advantage to trading the firm's capital? I thought of trading retail through Lightspeed because I have about $50,000 to trade with and Lightspeed will offer 4:1 buying power.

Well this firm looks like it has the same principals as the firm I used to work at years ago. If true, the prior firm went out of business due to "greed". On the website they said they are looking for someone with advanced law or business degrees( usually recent grad). At least the firm I worked for also looked for exactly the same.:o . Where I was, there were these Ivy league grads with well-to-do parents and they wanted to try their hand at the exotic world of trading before settling on a stiff corporate. job Bottomline, you need 18 month living expense saved up if you decided to do this on a full-time basis, whether you decide to go it alone or not. Depend on your monthly living expenses, your $50,000 capital can be eaten up pretty quickly. So watch out !

The advantage of going with a firm like that is interaction with other more experienced traders at their location, but I don't know anything about the remote aspect. Also eventually ,and it takes a while, to have huge buying power. But it is also a double-edged sword, that is probably the reason the previous firm went out of business.

The partners at SMB Capital have collectively traded for more than twenty years. They have successfully navigated the Asian Financial Crisis, the Tech Boom, the Internet Bubble, 9/11, and the recent near collapse of our banking system. Just to quickly correct a previous post, SMB Capital is the first and only trading firm they have owned or run.

When I was searching for a prop desk I visited as many firms as I could in NYC. I had recently graduated from Columbia (Engineering). I had mastered FX trading and was looking to learn how to trade equities. For those who are interested in finding a trading firm I recommend that you visit the firms personally, meet the partners, and decide for yourself the best place for you to start you trading career. For me this was an easy decision.

A quick anecdote. Six months into my career at SMB I was struggling. In fact I walked into the partner's office and quit. Steve, a partner at SMB, would not let me. He identified that I too easily traded on tilt. And offered some visualization exercises to correct this obstacle. Steve explained that my trading data was meaningless until I conquered this flaw. I performed these exercises everyday religiously. This made all the difference.

As Steve likes to acknowledge I went from "I quit" to Head Trader.

One of the things that our partners are most proud of is SMB Blog. For those interested in learning more about how we teach and trade please visit SMB Capital - Day Trading Blog. Here professional traders share market lessons and stories with you. For the developing trader this is an excellent learning tool.

Best of luck with you search.

Gilbert Mendez

Head Trader

SMB Capital, LLC