Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Hello,

I have been watching the $VOLD closely along with the e-mini S&P futures.

I can say with confidence that the e-mini will often pop long before the $VOLD moves on my charts.

My idea is to try and simulate or build a $VOLD indicator that is quicker to respond than the one on my charts. eSignal with Market Delta.

Is this a crazy idea, or has anyone thought of something similar?

I think that the $VOLD is only "pushed" through the data feed rather than being a true real time indicator.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

butch1130

I don't use $UVOL / $DVOL as an indicator to enter a trade but I do plot these two on a chart to give me an idea about market breadth. +300k and I am not looking to short -300k and I am not looking to go long above/below these numbers to me signify trend. On huge gap days this can get tricky as the spread maybe + or - 300k but run in the opposite direction the rest of the day. When the spread is choppy below +300k and above -300k I trade the market as a rotational range day...

spread.thumb.jpg.ae679ac76030f3527135146123e4b91c.jpg

You might find it easier to use the vold in instances of divergences...........price is making a lower low but the vold is not..... etc...

erie

Yes. That happens. It doesn't happen all the time, but that can be a piece to the puzzle. The Up Volume minus Down Volume of the NYSE 500, or the Up Volume / Down Volume often lags the price move on the es emini. So, in those situations, it's more of a confirmation that the trend has turned. But by the time Up Volume - Down Volume has turned, price may have already moved quite a bit. But, it's worth watching closely. Sometimes reversals chop sideways for quite while before turning.

It is a little more involved and a little trickier than just watching Up Volume - Down Volume for the NYSE 500. There are other factors that affect the es emini.

Tradestation has an indicator $VOLSPD that I think is similar....I just use it for trend direction though. I think the indicators are too lagging to make a trade instantly off of, unless you look at $tick. +1k and -1k on the $tick usually shows extremes for a quick scalp...