Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

johalber

Option Assignment

Hello All,

I have a question regarding option assignments.

If I'm in a covered call situation and the price of the stock goes above the strike price, does it get assigned right there and then or does it get assigned at expiration. At what point it time am I in danger of assignment?

I'm confused as to when I get assigned in general. In my particular situation I just want to get a little more cash and not sell my stock.

Similarly, If I sell a naked put with the intention of owning the stock at a particular price at what point to I assigned. I assume that I'd get assinged when the stocks price reaches the puts strike price or

goes below it.

Johalber

American style options can be assigned anytime, so you're always in danger of being assigned! Usually however, this is not what happens. Options are usually assigned when they are exercised by their holder, which usually happens when the option is deep in the money, or after expiration if they are 0.75 points or more in the money.

Jacoh

Johalber,

General info on assignment from Fidelity indicates that they will automatically assign if the price is 25 cents above the strike price. This has happened to me several times- so if I want to keep the stock I usually enter an order to buy to close.

Earsha