Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

A question on the dt today and dt's/db's in general.

Do you consider a dt still valid if price exceeds it by a tick or 2?

I guess more important than that (in a fast market price might overshoot by more than 2 ticks) is the behavior and by that I mean the way the rejection occurs, if for example the rally stalls and collapses it tells you something about buying interest not being there anymore (nobody else wants it so why would you? ) I could be wrong though.

Db, what kept you from taking a long at the HL at 9:48 /49 (dep on datafeed), I just finished replaying the day and couldn't find a reason not to take it, so I was wondering.

By that time, we had begun moving sideways. The first effort to exit this failed immediately. Therefore I decided to wait until price had decisively left this consolidation one way or the other before making a commitment. I didn't care about a few points.

Yep, now I can see that. Posted the chart so that others who are reading might comment on this.

5aa7121be13c3_NQ06-14(5Tick)28_04_2014.jpg.2844dabfac90423233a1c53fd265d211.jpg

I've been doing some rough data analysis on night session versus day session. I've included the excel file if anyone is curious. There is raw data for the overnight session and day session going back to April 1st 2010. I didn't exclude holiday's but if someone wants that level of detail they are free to do so.

So what is the point of all this? I wanted to see how often the overnight high or low is broken. It turns out that this occurs 96% of the time. Even more interesting is that when the high or low is broken 71% of the time the other extreme is not broken. I have over 1000 days as my sample set so this number is historically accurate. This got me interested in the distribution of ranges where neither end was broken. Surprisingly when this occurs it's most often with ranges of 20 points or less.

I also did some distribution work on overnight and day ranges which just give a better sense of what sort or ranges normally occur. I made the excel file for myself so if you can't understand any part of it feel free to ask me - it's not pretty.

NQmasterDATA.xlsx

This appears to be pertinent and may be helpful:

I am sick of hearing people say that 90% of traders lose because the market chews them up or the system doesn't work or whatever. That is just BS. The problem is those traders spend all their time playing with indicator values or analyzing timeframes or whatever and they miss the whole point of what they are doing here. This is a MARKET.

All markets have buyers and sellers. I don't know why everyone can be experts on value when they look at items in a store or a piece of real estate or whatever but not in the market. If you wanted to sell your house for 500k and you had nobody even look at it in a booming market what would that tell you? The price was too high. Would you then raise the price of the house the next day? Of course not, you drop your offer if you wanted to sell it. You see what I mean? Markets make sense when we are talking about real estate or whatever, but people just blindly look at indicators and follow systems even in the face of obvious current price information.

Example: in the last 5 minutes price has had a high failure at 1350 three times and is currently trading at 1348. Do you take a long setup here because a momentum indicator is above zero and the 9 day moving average just crossed over and above the 20 day? Why not, don't we always have to stick to our trading plan blah, blah, blah? That is a great example of how traders follow systems to the letter and then scratch their heads because they can't figure out why they are losing. Into the 90% pile they go. This isn't a ridiculous example either. This scenario repeats itself about once every 10 minutes on most days in any market.

Anon

SLA brought along with scratching and realizing I didn't have to lose. That changed everything.

AMT was in the wings and I thought would take me from knowing 'not having to lose' to being able to win.

AMT taught me something that changed everything, as much or more so than learning I didn't have lose, but it wasn't how to win.

AMT required prep work. Once the prep work became kind of consistent, the thing that changed everything was not winning, it was trusting. ...an EQ thing, not so much an IQ thing.

I realized I trusted the market. You have been around longer Db and may have heard someone say that before, but actually trusting the market was a foreign concept to me.

Then I realized what learning to scratch had done was teach trusting my self in the market. AMT took me further to a place of trusting the market it's self.

With the two together, fear doesn't have much room.

Edited by DbPhoenix

For today. Given that we bounced off the LL and have passed through the mean, the next stop is most likely the UL.

0910: Traders are unable to find trades above the same level as yesterday.

1100: Only two trades by 1100, both scratches. Not unexpected given where we are.

Image1.png.c5e7418fa91faa937d0fe9b5b3afe183.png

Edited by DbPhoenix

For today. Given that we bounced off the LL and have passed through the mean, the next stop is most likely the UL.

0910: Traders are unable to find trades above the same level as yesterday.

1100: Only two trades by 1100, both scratches. Not unexpected given where we are.

Image1.png.856f753fc703044cdd48a512344399c5.png

I

TRIED

to post that as several posts, so my posts wouldn't have to keep going thru the moderators.

But I'm afraid Db scrunched them altogether.... don't know if will sigh or laugh!

What else can I say, thank you Db, SLAAMTZEN, saved my day.

Fantastic trading Niko, especially on those scratches!

I have been reading through all the old material and I have enjoyed seeing you progress in your trading over the various threads. If I may, I would say that you have gone from "timid" or "fearful" trading to solid, plan-backed trading with confidence. It's a truly remarkable journey.

I am trying to understand this morning in the context of fear, this is the best I can come up with so far. Sort of trying to see what "they" fear, so I can use it objectively during RT trading.

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

I doubt that fear enters into it at all, except perhaps in the case of the itty-bitty retail trader who has no plan and doesn't know what's going on. Everybody else is just looking for trades. They don't care where they find them, up, down, whatever. Makes no difference to them. Not much different than a migrant farm worker.

They'll let you know when they've found them. If you're paying attention, you can have some too.

5aa7121d92340_NQ06-14(1Min)29_04_2014dynafear.jpg.ce5131315b53d9cf798bf79da4552a94.jpg

Edited by DbPhoenix

I doubt that fear enters into it at all, except perhaps in the case of the itty-bitty retail trader who has no plan and doesn't know what's going on. Everybody else is just looking for trades. They don't care where they find them, up, down, whatever. Makes no difference to them. Not much different than a migrant farm worker.

They'll let you know when they've found them. If you're paying attention, you can have some too.

Ok thanks, I am trying to understand the behavior behind the rapid fall after the failure to break the premarket high.

So, not thinking in terms of fear but of "acute business sense" it just made no sense to keep holding after buyers failed to pay above the PMH, and the right thing to do was to dump the contracts and take a short.

If you were to look at a tick chart, I suspect you'd see a lot of gapping. Even though price movement is continuous, it need not be contiguous.

Thanks

Edited by Niko

There's very little difference between this morning's chart and yesterday's, though the market is providing a good example of the difference between the median and the mean.

Usually these two align, more or less, but the median of the trend channel, at about 30, is below the level where traders have decided to set up camp, 20pts higher at about 50. Therefore, the "middle" of the trend channel will not necessarily provide fireworks if and when price declines to that point. What will be more important this morning is how traders behave around 50.

The upper limit as of this morning is around 90, so one would be well-advised to let traders work all this out and wait for a test of 90 or thereabouts rather than get entangled in the trading activity around the "mean" at 50.

Image1a.png.73f44448d1e44e41d77958fa02a2dd18.png

There's very little difference between this morning's chart and yesterday's, though the market is providing a good example of the difference between the median and the mean.

Usually these two align, more or less, but the median of the trend channel, at about 30, is below the level where traders have decided to set up camp, 20pts higher at about 50. Therefore, the "middle" of the trend channel will not necessarily provide fireworks if and when price declines to that point. What will be more important this morning is how traders behave around 50.

The upper limit as of this morning is around 90, so one would be well-advised to let traders work all this out and wait for a test of 90 or thereabouts rather than get entangled in the trading activity around the "mean" at 50.

For those who prefer to cut to the chase, the charts I've posted to this thread along with subsequent charts may be found here, without discussion.

Image1a.png.a4f52ac57247a8fd9087a3220ec61f5c.png

Edited by DbPhoenix

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By vishnux
      Hey guys , what are the main things you look for to detect if the consolidation area is accumulating or distributing ? 
      1 ) I see springs in top , still markup happens and it becomes accumulation area and vice versa
      2) There is lots of volume absorption in support line and still markdown occurs.
      3) sometimes in market high / low it becomes re-accumulation  / re-distribution
      Is there any clear way to find it ? 
  • Topics

• Date: 2nd May 2024. Market News – Stocks mixed; Yen support still on; Eyes on NFP & Apple tonight. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   As the Fed maintained a “high-for-longer” stance, stocks gave up their gains with attention turning back to earnings. Chair Powell and the Fed were not as hawkish as feared and the markets reacted immediately and in textbook fashion to the still dovish policy stance. The Fed flagged that recent disappointing inflation readings could make rate cuts a while in coming, but Fed chief Jerome Powell characterized the risk of more hikes as “unlikely,” giving some solace to markets. Stocks traded mixed across Asia, while in Europe, DAX and FTSE futures are finding buyers and US futures are also in demand, after the Fed’s message. Yen: Another suspected intervention by authorities, this time in late New York trading, ran into resistance from traders keen to keep selling the currency. Swiss CPI lifted to 1.4% y/y in April from 1.0% y/y in the previous month. Headline numbers are still at low levels and base effects play a role, with the different timing of Easter this year also likely to distort the picture. That said, the numbers may not question the SNB’s decision to cut rates, but they do not support another rate cut in June. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex has corrected to 105.58, but USDJPY is already inching higher again, after a sharp drop to a low of 153.04 on Tuesday that sparked fresh intervention speculation. The pair is currently trading at 155.38. Treasury yields plunged and were down over double digits before profit taking set in. USOIL finished with a -3.6% loss to $79.00, the lowest since March 12. Currently it is as $79.53. Gold was up 1.4% to $2319.55 per ounce, reclaiming the $2300 level. Market Trends:   Wall Street climbed initially with gains of 1.4% on the NASDAQ, 1.2% on the Dow, and 0.96% on the S&P500. The NASDAQ and S&P500 closed with losses of -0.3%, while the Dow was 0.23% firmer. The Hang Seng rallied more than 2%, and the ASX also posting slight gains, while CSI 300 and Nikkei declined. Apple’s earnings report is due after the US market closes today, will give investors a better sense of how the iPhone maker is weathering a sales slump, due in part to a sluggish China market. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • $CHWY Chewy stock breakdown watch, https://stockconsultant.com/?CHWY
    • $PYXS Pyxis Oncology stock low volume pullback to 4.32 support area, high trade quality, https://stockconsultant.com/?PYXS
    • $EVER EverQuote stock strong day, breakout, https://stockconsultant.com/?EVER
    • Date: 1st May 2024. Understanding the Implications of the FOMC Meeting. The FOMC will issue its post-meeting statement at 18:00 GMT tonight. “High-for-longer” is the expected outcome (but not higher) given more indications that progress on bringing inflation sustainably down to the 2% target has stalled out. With no new quarterly forecasts, it will be all about Chair Powell’s press conference when the Fed announces its policy stance tonight.   It is unlikely to be any more hawkish than what the markets are pricing in. Indeed, Chair Powell will have to acknowledge that the data are going the wrong way and he may even pre-empt the likely first question out of the box, “is a rate hike in the cards?” Meanwhile, Fed funds futures have not only fully priced out chances for a rate cut for this meeting and for June, but July as well. Risk for a reduction in September fell to below 50-50 on the initial spike in implied rates on the ECI news. The November contract reflects 20 bps in cuts, with a full quarter point easing now not seen until December. The FOMC is also expected to announce a slowing in Treasury runoff for June.   Economic Projections & Market Interpretation: The March update of the SEP revealed notable adjustments in key economic indicators. GDP forecasts for 2024 experienced a substantial upward revision, reflecting a more optimistic outlook with a growth rate of 2.1%, up from 1.4% in December. Similarly, projections for 2025 saw improvements, with the median jobless rate forecasts showing mixed trends but generally aligning with recent patterns. Expectations for headline and core PCE chain price indices also witnessed slight adjustments, indicating potential shifts in inflation dynamics. During the March meeting, the “dot plot” estimates hinted at a dovish stance by Fed members, with no indications of further rate hikes and median estimates suggesting potential rate cuts in 2024. This interpretation led markets to anticipate the initiation of quarterly rate cuts starting in June. As investors await the June SEP update, there is speculation about further adjustments in GDP estimates, PCE chain price indices, and the potential revision of rate cut expectations.   Analyzing the labor market reveals a complex picture of recovery and ongoing challenges. Payrolls have shown resilience in 2024, surpassing the previous year’s averages, albeit with variations across sectors. Despite improvements, the jobless rate remains a focal point, with fluctuations reflecting broader economic conditions. Additionally, metrics like the U-6 rate and wage growth provide insights into the labor market’s health and potential inflationary pressures.   Inflation Trends and Consumption Patterns: Inflation dynamics have been closely monitored, particularly amid recent fluctuations in commodity prices and supply chain disruptions. While recent CPI and PCE chain price measures suggest some moderation in inflationary pressures, concerns linger about the sustainability of these trends. The Fed’s attention to inflation remains paramount, shaping expectations for future policy actions. Consumer spending, a key driver of economic growth, has exhibited resilience despite ongoing uncertainties. Real personal consumption expenditures (PCE) have maintained positive growth rates, contributing to overall GDP expansion. However, shifts in consumption patterns and potential impacts on future economic performance warrant careful observation.   Market Expectations and Implications: As the FOMC meeting approaches, market participants are closely monitoring economic indicators and policy developments for insights into future market dynamics. The verbiage of the Fed statement and subsequent press briefing will be scrutinized for any hints regarding the timing of potential policy adjustments. Investors should remain vigilant and adaptable, considering the evolving economic landscape and its implications for investment strategies. The upcoming FOMC meeting holds significant implications for investors and economic stakeholders. Understanding recent economic developments, market expectations, and potential policy shifts is essential for navigating the dynamic financial environment. By staying informed and proactive, investors can position themselves to capitalize on emerging opportunities while managing risks effectively. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.