Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Best Virus/spyware Programs

Two things.

1. its free

2. the old standard for a virus writer is to test against mcafee and norton before release.

The last time I looked it was on a par with norton in comparative tests. Nothing is better than Kapersky and Nod32 but they are not free.

FWIW I run Avast but I turn it off during trading. Like a gamer I use Enditall to also shut down any background processes etc that are irrelevant to trading as well. I want all of my c2d's mighty power focussed on trading (and browsing :)) And to be sure I'm safe I don't visit any sites except elite, t2w, tl and sierrachart during the trading day. A right click turns it back on again at the end of the day.

This is probably a stupid question but...

What makes a product like this different than say, Norton?

In my view Norton is quite simply awful. It uses tons of pc resource and whenever I get a new pc the first thing I do is remove Norton completely and install the likes of Antivir etc.

If you want your pc to run faster then dump Norton.

Paul

In my view Norton is quite simply awful. It uses tons of pc resource and whenever I get a new pc the first thing I do is remove Norton completely and install the likes of Antivir etc.

If you want your pc to run faster then dump Norton.

Paul

Absolutely.

I agree with Kiwi, Kaspersky and NOD32 are best, but not free.

To be honest, I rarely run into viruses anymore these days because almost nothing gets past my browser...

Btw, anyone tried Clamwin, the open source scanner, yet?

I've used clamwin on windows server 2008 (most others wont run on it) ... to be avoided as its cludgy and slow.

Avira is good too. I run it on my daughters machines.

I've been using spybot search and destroy also but am currently using the outpost firewall and it seems to overlap with ss&d so I havent installed it currently.

I personally use the AVG suite and have been very impressed with it. Not a resource hog, never had any issues with it. Runs completely in the background, updates automatically, built in firewall, rootkit scans, spyware protection, internet link protection, etc...

Great program.

If I wasn't using this I would be using NOD32...

Avast as virus scanner, Comodo as firewall. Why pay if you don't have to. You suspect something is up then get spybot and adaware to clean.

Norton and McAffee, whenever I repair or setup a new computer, they have to go. McAffee was good in the old days then they followed Norton and intruded on every file they could find. They really know how to bring a computer to a crawl. :)

Happy hunting

One update here - Avast seems to be a nice program but I had to disable the part of it that scans every webpage you click. My web browsing is pretty limited and it was drastically slowing my browsing down. So if you use Avast, I would suggest turning that part of the software off b/c it brought my browsing to a standstill.

Interesting point about avast I never have that problem on any normal site. Only occasionally on sites that are known "problem" sites avast warns that the site has malicious code and wants to close the page. Otherwise no problem.

I also have a catalog program that avast warned me that the exe file was malicious since I use this one for many years I know it is a false positive so I just tell avast not to scan that 1 file. You can pretty much set anything in avast but sometimes it is not obvious how to get there. I guess it is on purpose that way so less possibility to defeat the actual purpose of the program.

It's better then AVG for my opinion and I used AVG for many years too.

Happy stock hunting all