Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

metalhead

Things to Use to Gauge Trend Instead of MAs (pics)

First pic:

TSI (True Strength Index) smoothed with an EMA. Candles colored according to the slope of this EMA.

Second pic:

Accumulation/Distribution smoothed with an EMA. Candles colored according to the slope of this EMA.

Discuss.

edit - fixed attachments

Edited by metalhead

Generally I prefer price action (HHs + HLs or LLs + LHs), but I think trying to come up with an indicator approach is interesting, especially if you're looking to automate.

The charts posted look pretty nice, but you've picked trending conditions, and the hardest thing about making a trend indicator is staying out of the chop, which yours doesn't really account for. Even in the charts posted, there are areas where it would make more sense to say the trend is sideways, rather than switching between up and down every couple of bars. I think this is the key to making a trend indicator - it shouldn't be binary (up or down), it should have three outputs (up, down, or sideways).

I 2nd the trending remark, how does it look in chop?

The other thing I note...it looks too much like the price action itself. There's no discernible edge I can see, at least from the screenshots themselves. How does something that tracks the price action that close give you any early usable clues?

I think this is the key to making a trend indicator - it shouldn't be binary (up or down), it should have three outputs (up, down, or sideways).

I agree. I'm trying to come up with something like this using an AMA which goes flat during choppy times.

I 2nd the trending remark, how does it look in chop?

The other thing I note...it looks too much like the price action itself. There's no discernible edge I can see, at least from the screenshots themselves. How does something that tracks the price action that close give you any early usable clues?

I wasn't saying this is a system or anything. I was just sharing an idea that people may not have thought of since everyone seems to use MAs to trends.