Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

method

Trading the DAX with OEC

Well hi there, I'm currently in the process of testing my latest trading plan which relies heavily on indicators and execution timing, as most of my trades last for anything from seconds to half an hour. I trade the DAX for three hours a night, from the opening (7pm to 10pm here in New Zealand).

I've been using a demo account with OEC and I'm impressed with the fast execution. For those using OEC with real money, is the real-time execution as fast?

The commissions seem pretty cheap but I'm not sure what I'd be charged per roundtrip if I make an average of 12 trades a day.

I have, however, had some problems with the charting program embedded in OEC Trader. Sometimes when I try to access 1-min graphs of the DAX (or the ES) after trading hours I simply get a blank screen, no chart. And a few minutes ago (during the opening hour), the DOM was very slow in moving (I mean lagging, almost as if my internet bandwidth was too small). However, after rebooting my pc it has gone back to normal.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :)

So are there any others here who trade the DAX with OEC? Are there better brokers to trade the DAX with?

One of your issues in NZ is internet latency.

Have a look at the times it takes to ping a server in the U.S. from NZ. Try a number of times during the period you want to trade as well as what would be quiet times. One of your issues is how you connect to your ISP and then how your ISP connects to the internet.

One tool for this would be

http://www.speedtest.net/

Once pass this test, the try pinging the broker's server you would connect to to trade and compare.

Yeah, your issue is probably due to your geographical location. There isn't an easy fix, unless you can find a data provider that has minimal latency. The ping idea is good, because it'll give you an idea of what your lag should be. If you're significantly more, then you may have more problems.

Guest forsearch

Worst still is when you get the dreaded "Too Many History Requests" after hitting refresh several times.

You have to logout and log back in to reset this error as your charts and quotes won't update at all.

Also, the OEC Trader quote platform is a notorious resource hog. Your DOM will work faster when the quotes are minimized, for this reason.

-fs

Worst still is when you get the dreaded "Too Many History Requests" after hitting refresh several times.

You have to logout and log back in to reset this error as your charts and quotes won't update at all.

Also, the OEC Trader quote platform is a notorious resource hog. Your DOM will work faster when the quotes are minimized, for this reason.

-fs

FS,

To get the 'too many history requests' you must be hitting refresh much, much more than several times. I have gotten this before, but only after I thought the dom was not updating and it turned out to be my internet connection.

Guest forsearch

Actually, it's simply trying to draw history for volume charts that is the problem for me.

Since only a weeks' worth of history data is available when using tick or volume charts, you have to reload in order for long range indicators (e.g. 200 EMA) to work properly.

-fs

Not sure how you define 'several times' fs, but here is how it works (direct from Rob):

Refresh doesn't increase the counter on subscriptions, however ‘Load more Data’ does and is limited to 100 requests per hour.

So, you can only hit load more data 100 TIMES PER HOUR before you have to log out and back in....

Keep in mind that when you bring up stuff like that, I am going to verify it with OEC. I suggest you do the same.

Guest forsearch

Fair enough, and good to know. Thanks for verifying with OEC.

Guess I should use "refresh" instead of "load more data" if it will complete a backfill successfully.

Hopefully the "zoom-in" button doesn't trigger the same counter either.

-fs

Sorry, the above post doesn't seem very clear. The thing I'm most concerned about is the amount of slippage.

The DAX is quite thin and very fast at times. You will get slippage at times. A tick or two obviously more common than 6 :) If you buy into selling climaxes sometimes you get 'positive' slipage.

Alright, thanks for your help, I'll try the refresh button next time brownsfan ^_^.

Compared to Infinity, OEC's initial margin requirement for day trading seems to be much higher: 5000 euros vs. Infinity's US$1500.....hmmm I wonder why?