Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

james_gsx

Who Caught This Yesterday?

I know I did :cool:

I bought puts, instead of trading the ES. I know, not exactly TL friendly but whatever. I bought July $132 puts at $2.32, now they are trading near $4. Not as big of a gain had I shorted 1 ES contract, but had this trade turned against me it would have been bad.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7189&stc=1&d=1214496348

I was able to catch this too shorting the futures. For these kinds of trades, I use my "high volitility - higher risk" risk rules; lower position size, and aggressive chasing stops. Luckily, I got in at 1334 and had absolutely no heat. I got out at 1324 nearing support from earlier in the day and as intense selling pressure started to die.

Managing risk and the trade is important for these kinds of trades, as you mentioned, because when they go against you, it can be brutal.

i bought the 130,131 put sprd up there and reversed out of it this morning shorting the 133,131 put sprd and covered on close for a loss,brilliant,i was hoping for an oversold reversal and it never happened

Seeing that this is the candlestick corner, candlestick charts might be step 1.

;)

I saw you make the same comment on ET when someone asked about a candlestick pattern (and you replied the same). Well played, good sir.

(Oh, he's just a Hershey trader, pay no attention ;))

I know I did :cool:

I bought puts, instead of trading the ES. I know, not exactly TL friendly but whatever. I bought July $132 puts at $2.32, now they are trading near $4. Not as big of a gain had I shorted 1 ES contract, but had this trade turned against me it would have been bad.

Can you recommend where I might be able to learn about options on the eminis? I'm a real newb for options, but would like to learn about them and trade them on a swing basis.

Thanks

I saw you make the same comment on ET when someone asked about a candlestick pattern (and you replied the same). Well played, good sir.

(Oh, he's just a Hershey trader, pay no attention ;))

Kinda weird on how on two separate forums there are people commenting about candlesticks yet using bar charts...

:confused:

Can you recommend where I might be able to learn about options on the eminis? I'm a real newb for options, but would like to learn about them and trade them on a swing basis.

Thanks

Before you go out and start trading options on the eminis I would start on the SPY first. You need a solid understanding of all the greeks and how they all work for and against you. Not to mention the options on the futures are expensive, so personally I would rather sell the options and collect the premium while theta and vega work on my side compared to just buying naked calls or puts for short term swing trades. But just about any trading website will talk about options, if you can't find one then investopedia has a lot of stuff, and some good articles on greeks such as position delta, volatility, etc.

Before you go out and start trading options on the eminis I would start on the SPY first. You need a solid understanding of all the greeks and how they all work for and against you. Not to mention the options on the futures are expensive, so personally I would rather sell the options and collect the premium while theta and vega work on my side compared to just buying naked calls or puts for short term swing trades. But just about any trading website will talk about options, if you can't find one then investopedia has a lot of stuff, and some good articles on greeks such as position delta, volatility, etc.

Word. The options on futures can be pretty nuts. As you said though you can make a decent amount via calendar spreads etc selling premium with theta on your side. Seems easy the first time you do it. It's not. haha I've made and lost my fair share in options. :crap:

Word. The options on futures can be pretty nuts. As you said though you can make a decent amount via calendar spreads etc selling premium with theta on your side. Seems easy the first time you do it. It's not. haha I've made and lost my fair share in options. :crap:

I think you mean "collecting premium". Regardless, I recommend that newbies never short gamma. You're potentially exposing yourself to extreme risks.

As a general rule of thumb, even if you've found an "amazing" options strategy... if it's that easy, the edge would be beaten out long before you get there.

Guest forsearch

This [thread=3664]thread on Options[/thread] might have more info for ya.

Thanks

search the cboe.com web pages,there is a ton of free info there they want the business and want educated traders so they are glad to provide the material