Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

firewalker

Live Indices Trades

I HATE days like this...all I can say is that given I was shorting all morning..and out from 3-5:15pm

In the past it would have cost me a whole lot more...

Best trades oddly enough the Dow... +127 over 4 trades

as for Europe....well live to fight another day about sums it up...

Welcome back, FW. Hope you went long at around 10800?!

Still hoping it'll get back to 350 by the close.

Well I'm actually not completely 'back' yet, but I am contemplating several things. One of them is holding a swing position, so when intraday trading gets choppy I have something else to rely on.

It's a pleasure to see everybody keeping this board up & running whilst I'm not around. Well done everybody :) I hope to be contributing again in the near future.

The Nikkei 225 Average recently lost 0.8% to 12,785.06 and the broader Topix index gave up 0.9% to 1,252.68. Elsewhere in Asia, Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index slipped 0.1% to end the morning session at 21,709.52. Taiwan's Taiex was recently down 2.6% at 6,796.58, while South Korea's Kospi index shed 1% to 1,510.51. India's Sensex was 0.1% lower to 13,097.98, after trading higher in the early going.

So Asia off....perhaps caused by..

Merrill Lynch & Co. tumbled in late trading after the third-biggest U.S. securities firm posted a wider-than-forecast second-quarter loss yesterday on $9.7 billion of credit-market writedowns.

Moody's Investors Service cut Merrill's credit rating and the firm's shares fell 6.4 percent in after-hours trading. The net loss of $4.65 billion, or $4.97 a share, exceeded the firm's $1.96 billion first-quarter loss, while rivals Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Morgan Stanley stayed profitable

and this ....

Investors took a bite out of Google (nasdaq: GOOG - news - people )'s shares in after-hours trading on Thursday when the Internet search overlord reported second-quarter earnings after the bell that fell below Street expectations. Google shares dropped 10.2%, or $54.50, to $478.94, moments after the company reported.

and this ....

Microsoft surprised the Street by narrowly missing analyst estimates in its fiscal fourth quarter.

After Thursday’s closing bell the software company reported earnings of 46 cents per share, while its revenue increased by 18% to $15.8 billion.

Analysts had predicted earnings of 47 cents per share on $15.65 billion in revenue in the fiscal fourth quarter for the software giant.

While Microsoft officials remain optimistic about the future, the company issued a first-quarter forecast that was weaker than Wall Street expected.

Microsoft said it sees first-quarter earnings of 47 cents to 48 cents per share on $14.7 billion to $14.9 billion in revenue. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are looking for 49 cents on $15.04 billion in revenue.

Edited by Foale

and this ....

Microsoft surprised the Street by narrowly missing analyst estimates in its fiscal fourth quarter.

After Thursday’s closing bell the software company reported earnings of 46 cents per share, while its revenue increased by 18% to $15.8 billion.

Analysts had predicted earnings of 47 cents per share on $15.65 billion in revenue in the fiscal fourth quarter for the software giant.

While Microsoft officials remain optimistic about the future, the company issued a first-quarter forecast that was weaker than Wall Street expected.

Microsoft said it sees first-quarter earnings of 47 cents to 48 cents per share on $14.7 billion to $14.9 billion in revenue. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are looking for 49 cents on $15.04 billion in revenue.

Shares of Microsoft fell almost 5% in after-hours trading.

can anyone see why Dow futures are 120 off yesterdays highs ?

Well I had the 400-420 area as resistance... Since we moved up 600 points from the lows without some sort of retracement, some profit taking at these levels is to be expected.

Well I had the 400-420 area as resistance... Since we moved up 600 points from the lows without some sort of retracement, some profit taking at these levels is to be expected.

Interesting...but are you a positive or negative bias from here? 11330

Interesting...but are you a positive or negative bias from here? 11330

I'm neutral hehe...

Where we are now, is right in the middle of two important 'zones' for me... 420 area and 220 area. I expect price to stay contained between those two levels today, but you never know. There's no major news coming up though, so I'd be looking to trade preferably from those areas. Anything in between is higher risk for me, although there are always a handful of profitable scalps possible I imagine :)

Difficult but am also having to be neutral.

Still in the down leg and not bottomed yet:

We didn’t get the VIX/VXO spike that often comes with a true turn up from the low, nor did the VIX/VXO get to the normal levels.

The DOW chart to me is calling for 10500 as a low – though I accept this could come in the next bear leg down, not necessarily this latter one.

We are still in the down channel until we make a decisive break to 11500.

-Or-

We have reversed and are at the beginning of a bear market rally leg:

We got up to decent VIX/VXO levels, if not the normal highs.

We had a hammer on the daily, plus a second follow through up day, which is typically a sign of a genuine turn.

Oil finally broke out of its up channel and commodities have historically sold off a year after stocks in stock bear markets, giving the stock indices room to breathe and a home for the hot cash too.

So many posts I cant find my old ones with the short trades on but

closed...Dax Sept shorts at 249 and 310 at 287...so almost break even

closed my short...ftse Sept at 239 +12 from the 5251 open

done a few Dax scalps...early on...

Only longs at the moment...

Difficult but am also having to be neutral.

Still in the down leg and not bottomed yet:

We didn’t get the VIX/VXO spike that often comes with a true turn up from the low, nor did the VIX/VXO get to the normal levels.

The DOW chart to me is calling for 10500 as a low – though I accept this could come in the next bear leg down, not necessarily this latter one.

We are still in the down channel until we make a decisive break to 11500.

-Or-

We have reversed and are at the beginning of a bear market rally leg:

We got up to decent VIX/VXO levels, if not the normal highs.

We had a hammer on the daily, plus a second follow through up day, which is typically a sign of a genuine turn.

Oil finally broke out of its up channel and commodities have historically sold off a year after stocks in stock bear markets, giving the stock indices room to breathe and a home for the hot cash too.

It's true VIX hasn't spiked up as high as in January or March, but it did go up significantly enough. Agreed we are still in the down channel, the NQ touched the supply line last night at the highs, but more importantly it failed to make new lows below those from March. The ES also broke the trendline drawn from the May highs. So things have definitely changed and I would be much more confident in taking longs now than say a week ago.

Short DAX 6324.

Welcome back FW!

Thanks, it's nice to have such a group of active traders continuing to post live trades :thumbs up:

I see the commodity & forex threads attract less attention though...

Thanks, it's nice to have such a group of active traders continuing to post live trades :thumbs up:

I see the commodity & forex threads attract less attention though...

Welcome back FW. Personnally, I think 1 busy thread is much easier, and we can all post all sorts in the one place? Trades, brief banter, etc???? Leave the other rooms for detail TA chat and so on though