Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Simple

Tim Ord - "The Secret Science of Price and Volume"

Tim Ord - "The Secret Science of Price and Volume"

I was working through some reviews on Amazon today following db's recommendation of Technical-Analysis-Stock-Market-Profits by Richard Schabacker and ran across Tim Ord's book. So I'm trying to decide whether its worth purchasing.

Has anyone read it? What did you think?

(note to mod, I posted this in general discussion as well ... can you remove that version :))

I did get a chance to browse through the book, and I am not too impressed.

He has this thing called Ord-Volume that is proprietary and you have to buy his software in order to use it. Anyway, anybody who names an indicator after themselves and call it proprietary is a turn off for me.

I believe all Ord did was study Wyckoff and put his own spin on it. That's neither good nor bad IMO it just is. I took a look at him and there is nothing ground breaking IMO. For those of you that have Ensign charting you can track volume in swings, trendlines, geometric forms, etc. I just found some bugs in Ensign, nothing huge, and am rather comfortable with Sierra. That and I found I just don't need such exactness but some may like what Ensign can do with volume.

Thanks dan.

The ord volume isn't a secret or proprietary (its described in the two free pdf's you can download from his site).

From the free PDF's it seems that, like db, he took what Wyckoff had written and adapted it to the modern age. Then he seemed to have set up some specific rules for swings in liquid stocks and it looks like the testing for those rules probably created the software you mention OAC.

So, no one here has read the book?

Thanks for the clarification, I may take a look again. His entire book was illustrated by charts from his software. I assumed some of the stuff was proprietary, otherwise why can't you include the Tradestation Codes in the appendix ?

Thanks dan.

So, no one here has read the book?

I enjoyed his book and have wanted to study swing volumes for a long time but it's been too much of a pain. I'm glad to see he apparently is successful doing so going by the awards on his site. His newsletter highlights one stock each day so it will be easy to see how he performs real-time.

He compares volumes of swings, pivots and gaps and the software is very convenient. Although his ideas aren't anything original (he took the SMI course) he's the only one I know of that strictly follows these relationships.

I wonder how applicable his stuff is to trading intraday ? It seems to me this is one area he is shying away from. Even in the old days when we had the TAG seminars, he used to utilize the NYSE TICK readings to identify monthly or yearly highs and lows in the S&P 500.

Edited by OAC

I have been applying his top and bottom test rules (crudely) to the intraday opening tests of my market and finding them quite effective. My approach has been that if the penetration doesn't meet his rule from the pdf's I don't assume trend in that direction - I wait.

Interesting so far.