Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

erierambler

Price Action Clues

I'd like to start this off with some charts for the Transports and Dow Industrials. It will be about 3 weeks from now that I can really focus more here on this thread, right now only on weekends. These charts are not the normal Indexes , but that of my own. Notice when the charts are in sync and when they diverge. Such as the Indu makes a new high in Oct/07 and the Tran does not. Then there is a test and failure.( noticeable in Dec/07 ) Now we are insync again and the Tran are reaching old highs. New highs in the index are confirming. I mainly trade the ES, so this thread will become about that but one needs to look at the trees in the forest.

erie

attachment.php?attachmentid=6219&stc=1&d=1209251589

attachment.php?attachmentid=6220&stc=1&d=1209251589

Tran.gif.7ad33ba2b57a14a3210f5299f66aac02.gif

Indu.gif.c6a6459779534c1c8663c7fbe03d5f1f.gif

same charts as before only updated. Two charts have broke above potential resistance and others have not. ( creating divergence ). New highs are confirming price but sectors chart not breaking out yet. 10 day Mamis oscillator shows divergence big time so therefore very wary here.

erie

attachment.php?attachmentid=6272&stc=1&d=1209825469

attachment.php?attachmentid=6273&stc=1&d=1209825469

Indu.gif.e072e372921716cabc5f2ad2a63c9578.gif

Tran.gif.4970ba8156bb4a1101176b1cc8f5497d.gif

It might pay to break down the transports the way we break down the industrials. I wonder, for example, if containers and packaging can act as a warning regarding the strength of the transports per se:

attachment.php?attachmentid=6284&stc=1&d=1209931312

Image8.gif.650d504a275fe2117b6240a0df102cf3.gif

It might pay to break down the transports the way we break down the industrials. I wonder, for example, if containers and packaging can act as a warning regarding the strength of the transports per se:

You've been doing this a lot longer than me. By the looks of the chart they are already diverged, correct? I have the Industrials not making the new high ( creating divergence ) this time , so wouldn't they be showing the warning?

Note: I have for the Transports on my chart: UPS, UNP, FDX, BNI, NSC, CSX, LUV, EXPD, CHRW, AMR, and JBHT. For the Industrial: XOM, GE MSFT, T, WMT, PG, CVX, JNJ, IBM, BAC. These are equal weighted composites.

Of course you are looking at bigcharts .

erie

As long as the Inds and Trans are going in the same direction, they needn't be making new highs together.

As for breaking down the transports, I'm not referring to stocks but to groups within transports, e.g., Industrial Engineering, which makes the trucks and railcars and engines; Containers and Packaging, which is self-explanatory; Delivery Services; etc. And it's useful to look at Industrial Transportation, which is nearer to the original constitution of transports. It's the same thing as the transportation average only without airlines.

One can also look at trucking alone or marine transportation alone and so on to determine just where the strength lies: in this case, rails and trucking. Which is why I mentioned containers and packaging. If trucks and rails are strong, why aren't containers and packaging equally strong? And does it matter?

As long as the Inds and Trans are going in the same direction, they needn't be making new highs together.

One can also look at trucking alone or marine transportation alone and so on to determine just where the strength lies: in this case, rails and trucking. Which is why I mentioned containers and packaging. If trucks and rails are strong, why aren't containers and packaging equally strong? And does it matter?

Those 2 questions I can't answer, LOL. The chart I posted of the transports shows price going almost straight up. That can't continue, unsustainable....price has to consolidate or retrace, unless the buying presssure comes from the industrials.

erie

It would only be a guess for me, but the cost of diesel has not come down like the price of oil and gas. :)

We discussed this before, months ago (previous page), but those who are new to the thread and interested in using the trannies to predict moves in the indies may want to break them down into trucking, rails, marine, air, and so on, since the transportation average tends to be skewed by the airlines.

Back when the Dow people were saying that strength in the transports was indicating the end of the bear market (this was when the trannies were like 2000pts higher), I followed Containers, which were not doing very well. A month later, everything fell apart. Now they're showing more or less the same strength as the rest of the market which, unfortunately, isn't saying much.

need a move above 1090 to confirm

erie

if you would just add volume to the chart,

you could confirm a lot sooner.

don't mean to dis your effort to be a PA purist,

but money don't know and don't care if you are unpure.