Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ashokkuttan

BB Squeeze (Version of TTM Squeeze)

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and had downloaded the _BBSqueeze indicator which was something similar to TTM SqueeZe. I have seen Carter's video on the Squeeze itself and he says that the squeeze will turn a first red dot and that will be his indicator either go long or short.

I used the _BB Squeeze and when i applied it to ADBE today, the signal was totally wrong. Between the time frame 10:40 to 11:40 the stock kept going higher, however ths squeeze was giving a faded green color ( should indicate a price slowdown).

Is there anything wrong with this particular squeeze indicator? Is there anything that is more upto date that mirrors the TTM indicator?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way this site rocks!!!!

Thanks

Ash

I have seen enough Carters and Senters videos to tell you that you need to take the directional indication with a grain of salt. The squeeze indicator basically warns you that there may be a directional move ahead and it does not trigger a trade by itself.

can you post a picture --you may have the wrong setting or timeframe for adbe.

all indicators do not work exact--for instance with 50000 shares candles the squeeze would have given a great signal at your timeframe, but on a 1 minute it was a little choppy. backtest and forward test before actually trading--post a pic if you can.

Edited by dcstrategies

It appears to be me there are two components to the Squeeze Indicator:

(1) the BB-Keltner Squeeze part which is indicated by a series of red and blue dot at the zero line. (2) A momentum histogram that oscillates around the zero line. Between 10:30 to 11:40, the price was making higher high and the momemtun histogram was making lower high, that is called divergence.

The divergence did resolve itself shortly after 11:40 by the subsequent price decline.

dcstrategies' suggestion is correct, but you can always find a time frame to fit an indicator after the fact :)

The point is that it is unlikely the TTM branded indicator is any better, it is a limitation of any indicator to give the signal you 'expect' at any given setting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5578&d=1206104152

5aa70e4852be1_ADBEBBS50K2008-03-21_085406.gif.83f197085057a66622385e6403d17005.gif

Yea, I guess indicators are always lagging and on hindsight it would have worked great. While comparing both this _BBSqueeze and TTM Squeeze, it does seem the TTM squeeze has more parameters than the one we have here.

Does anyone have the actual version of TTM that is currently used?

Thanks

Ash

As far I know, the momentum part of the TTM squeeze indicator is same as a standard one. The squeeze part is a little different in that in addition to the Keltner-BB part, it also has an ATR(average true range) component. Personally I don't think it is that important because the indicator does not trigger a trade by itself.

most people on here seem sceptical about ttm products. Is there anyone here who uses the ttm squeeze for example successfully? thanks.

There are thousands of indicators out there. For each indicator, some will find it useful to add to their trading toolbox and others will not. So if one person tell you that he or she has been using the TTM Squeeze indicator successfully and what will that tell you ? Absolutely Nothing.

However, the TTM Squeeze indicator is behind a valid concept of the volatility cycle going from high to low and low to high. As we know, the market is full of false moves. My biggest criticism of the TTM Squeeze Indicator is that it has no way of filtering the false moves. In my own trading , I prefer to use an indicators that measure the range of current bar is greater any of the previous 9 bars and the volume of the current bar is greater than the average volume of the last 10 bars.

Since volume is used as a filter, there is less chance of a false move.

I have the dearly-paid-for TTM indicator, and ran the open source squeeze indicator head to head with the TTM squeeze. The difference is negligible. Both will give false signals. You might be able to tighten it up by changing the length, bollinger band and keltner channel settings on each time frame you use. I tried that and it did help some. But I really don't pay that much attention to the squeeze any more.

Guest forsearch
2351475868_cd35ab8e8b_o.png

The reason you see the "dummy" notation is even more insidious.

It's because TTM "re-engineered" this indicator directly from the TS forums, and forgot to remove this line of test code.

You're welcome to go to the TS forums and see the original from 2003 before TTM purloined it for themselves.

-fs

Guest forsearch
As far I know, the momentum part of the TTM squeeze indicator is same as a standard one.

Nope. It's actually the delta of price from the midpoint of a Donchian channel.

The squeeze part is a little different in that in addition to the Keltner-BB part, it also has an ATR(average true range) component. Personally I don't think it is that important because the indicator does not trigger a trade by itself.

Ummm, OK. But mistaken again.

Keltner Channel (KC) is based on ATR. Bollinger Bands (BB) are based on Standard Deviation. The setup is when the BB moves inside the KC - a so-called "Squeeze" . It denotes a period of low volatility.

Then when the BB moves OUTSIDE the KC, the trade is triggered. This means that volatility has increased (remember that BB is a measure of Standard Deviation, hence, volatility)...

Go with the trade in the direction of the prevailing momentum as determined by price or the histogram, or whatever confirmation you choose.

-fs

Guest forsearch
Those comments were not my own, they came from a John Carter/Hubert Senters's video.

Typical.

-fs

I programmed this indicator so it displays only the alert line and not the histogram. I have been running the alert line at the bottom of my chart window to see how the trade signals compare with my charts.

So far, this indicator lags my other lagging indicators by about two bars. In a choppy market like this week, it puts you into a trade almost exactly at the point of reversal.

When big, smooth moves happen, it is great to look back and say, "Wow, that BB Squeeze really worked for that move." Of course, there were two or four other signals that would have put you in the move a lot sooner.

It is a nice confirmation signal for these bigger moves,

Bam-Bam

Guest forsearch

Bam,

Can you illustrate with a photo the lagginess of it? Just curious which of your other laggardly indicators would be a better entry trigger.

-fs

fs -

Here's a for instance for you. This is a 2-minute chart of the YM from April 28. The chart has a 8-period EMA on price, bar color based on closing above this EMA (+/-), MACD, Chaikin Oscillator, and BB Squeeze. Default settings for all indicators.

There were two squeezes triggered in the timeframe.

Squeeze 1:

- MACD crossover 3 bars before trigger

- slope on EMA went negative 2 bars before

- bar color changed 3 bars before

- Chaikin Oscillator peaked 7 bars before

Squeeze 2:

- MACD crossover 9 bars before trigger

- slope on EMA went negative 9 bars before

- bar color changed 12 bars before

Squeeze 2 shows an example of how in a choppy market, you would enter just before the market turned back up.

Some caveats: I don't really trade off of oscillators, so I may not be interpreting them properly. Also, my program may have a greater than or equal rather than simply greater than on the off chance that the Standard Deviation and the ATR is the same to umpteen decimal places. Finally, I ain't no programmin' genius, so Blu-Ray's or the TTM stuff may work better.

The two bar lag (minimum) is consistent across chart periods (min, ticks, volume).

attachment.php?attachmentid=6259&stc=1&d=1209678050

5aa70e5d2a49a_YM-280408.thumb.JPG.68d3bda99719a6f66f205f4b1c262965.JPG

fs -

In the interest of equal representation, here's a couple of examples of the "Wow, that BB Squeeze really worked for that move."

The chart has the same indicators as above. This one is a 5-minute from April 25 YM price action.

Squeeze A:

- MACD crossover 2 bars before trigger

- slope on EMA went negative 3 bars before

- bar color changed 4 bars before

Squeeze B:

- MACD crossover many bars before trigger

- slope on EMA went positive 2 bars before

- bar color changed 8 bars before

Same caveats as above message on coding.

Hope this helps,

Bam-Bam

attachment.php?attachmentid=6260&stc=1&d=1209680229

5aa70e5d30b10_YM-250408.thumb.JPG.f5ede1bcb9e1b5f95b5a8c1e38e30465.JPG

I have discovered the squeeze indicator works better on tick charts, however

the smaller tick charts ( 55,89,144) will provide more false signals. the 233 and 512 have a much better track record.