Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Power Supply Units?

I have been advised that I need to buy a power supply unit. I have found some good deals on newegg.com on a few 500 watt models. I am just timid about setting it up...having to connect all those wires and cords scares me a little.

Are you guys using a psu on your trading computer?

If so, how hard was it to install?

Also, any other recommendations for me as I just bought a loaded computer and want to get everything in place for it.

I have been advised that I need to buy a power supply unit. I have found some good deals on newegg.com on a few 500 watt models. I am just timid about setting it up...having to connect all those wires and cords scares me a little.

Are you guys using a psu on your trading computer?

Also, any other recommendations for me as I just bought a loaded computer and want to get everything in place for it.

I still think you're mixing up UPS and PSU.

You're computer won't power up without a PSU.

An optional add on for power protection is a UPS.

If you are talking about a Uninterruptible Power Supply, then perhaps try one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=4802&Description=apc+ups&name=Top+Sellers

You could also try local office and computer stores to save on shipping; these usually contain lead acid battery so they can be heavy.

It is just a matter plugging into the AC plug; optionally there are cable and software to start a timer program which can shut down your PC properly after some period. The smaller UPS are really only good for tens of minutes, depending on your system, although it could be a life saver to close your trades and save your data.

I stand by the APC BR1500 or BX1500 as a solid workstation UPS.

2 factors to look at with a ups is how many watts your are drawing with the gear plugged into the ups. Then the 2nd is how much uptime you need when the power fails.

I went over this in the other thread...the average pc is 400-500 watts.

Add a monitor or any other device plugged in and total it up. You want at least 10 minutes runtime for a solid shutdown. The BR1500 does voltage regulation which is a great feature to have to be sure your gear gets a clean consistent signal.

This is one of the skillsets I run at work and configure small time stuff like this all the way up to $100k UPS solutions for datacenters. If you need input on this let me know. :)

Ok heres a sample of useless info I know from work...

The bx1500 is a retail series, the br1500 is more a distribution channel series.

The BR model does FULL voltage regulation (buck and boost), the BX does partial voltage regulation.

The BR model has phone AND ethernet surge connections, the BX has phone only.

What about a slightly cheaper option. I see the one you mentioned around $200. I am looking under $100. Any ideas in that price range?

Well besides the "you get what you pay for" lecture which I'll skip...;)

How many watts are you drawing and how long of a runtime were you looking for? If you cant answer those 2 questions you haven't done enough homework. I get these questions at work all day and often the customer wants a $100 ups but it just wont support the power draw or give them the runtime needed. In power budget often comes secondary because it's an all or nothing proposition.

Also when you cut back the price that far you'll lose the true voltage regulation which IMO is the best feature. If you've ever seen the readings that come out of the wall you'd see 120v is not always delivered, power dips and pops can cause all sorts of issues with your computer.

http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=21

Here is a cheaper series...look at the wimpy runtimes here. The BE750BB comes in at $99 retail but at 400 watts gives only 7 minutes runtime. I would think you'll draw more than 400 watts, 450 watts is it's max which would overload this model and render it useless.

http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=23

Here's a runtime chart for the RS series I suggest. Get your wattage and run down the column. You might be able to skimp and get like a 1200va but why bother...1500 is the max you can get from the wall and I say might as well do it right the first time. You'll have breathing room to put the modem and router if you have one and keep them up too. Cause if the internet is down who cares if the computer is running right?

I would say treat this like your data feed or platform, don't skimp at the risk of quality. This is for your trading computer right?

One other thing...the bx series is cheaper and they are sold in like sams club for example. That series has no ethernet surge protection which is DUMB. Spend the lute and get that feature, my brothers whole computer was fried on a lightning spike ... through the ethernet/network cable. You can get enough current through any one of your cables to fry the whole thing.

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=305&item=M22044

heres the br1500lcd...it adds a nice lil screen to monitor battery conditions etc...$192 with free 3 day shipping.

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=305&item=857639

$214 for the one without the lcd...a lil more streamlined though.

With 865 watts capacity and the lcd...I'd go with the br1500lcd. Protecting your computer equipment and possibly your equity if your trading computer stays up long enough to get you out of a trade in power failures...thats what Mastercard would call "priceless". ;)

Edited by mcichocki_