Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Router Question

I'm having internet backup issues here and since my internet providers are very limited (basically one) I was wondering if a new router could help the situation.

During the day I am hitting some packets of information overload apparently, which can slow things down.

Would a new router help this at all? I am hard wired into the router (not using wireless) but still going through the router nonetheless. I actually have a switch into the router as well b/c I needed more plugs.

I've seen those newer routers that brag about speed, but I am wondering if that's mainly for the wireless portion or not.

Thanks!

Also -any suggestions for a new router if that is a good way to go?

Speed should be dependent on your internet provider. I have fiber optics here so never had any internet issues and is lightening fast.

From my understanding routers are used when using multiple pcs from one line? I have a router as well but that is for my wireless laptop while my pc is plugged in direct to the modem.

James - unfortunately I am stuck with cable as my only internet option here. The next option is to move, which could happen down the road. But for now, I am stuck.

I use the router b/c I am running 6 computers during the day. Not all of them at once and not all for trading, but with the router I can connect anywhere in the house.

I have a feeling this is mainly an ISP issue, but thought I would ask. I am on TimeWarner's RoadRunner 'premium' speed and they do not offer anything faster.

One way to optimize your internet speed is by using a program like Tuneup Utilities 2008 which will automatically configure your pc settings to make internet connection the fastest. I have seen a few other programs out there which will increase your speed by over 30% but they are Japanese versions. Perhaps they similar softwares are available in the US as well.

I must say 6 pcs is pretty impressive. Hopefully someone else can offer better advice regarding this issue.

Another option if you're willing to spend the money is to get a wireless internet card from Sprint or Verizon. If AT&T is in your area and has their newest networks up they maybe the fastest. But Sprint and Verizon have their EvDo networks pretty much everywhere and it's pretty fast. I used to sell them back in the day when I worked at Best Buy and they were a life saver for a lot of customers. Would I use one for my primary trading? No, but I would for a backup if I didn't have any other options.

One more issue though is I'm not sure if those cards would work with a desktop. There is probably some hardware out there where you could use the card externally and plug it in but I'm not sure. Something to think about though.

As far as routers go, you could try some of the new "N" ones. I remember they were just coming out as I left a little less than a year ago. I heard good things about them but I remember they were really expensive. But I think they were more for wireless as they had a longer more powerful range.

Gsx - I have the Verizon one as backup. Problem is that OEC cannot run on it. On my list of reco's to them is to create a 'lite' version of OEC trader that can run on one of these cards.

I'm in a small suburb of Cleveland where the ONLY HARD WIRE option is TimeWarner cable. That's it. Only other option I am aware of is satellite internet, but I have to think that TW is better than that. They are fine MOST of the time...

One way to optimize your internet speed is by using a program like Tuneup Utilities 2008 which will automatically configure your pc settings to make internet connection the fastest. I have seen a few other programs out there which will increase your speed by over 30% but they are Japanese versions. Perhaps they similar softwares are available in the US as well.

I must say 6 pcs is pretty impressive. Hopefully someone else can offer better advice regarding this issue.

let us know if you find a program to run to speed things up...i would be interested in the feedback.

Are you running wireless or are we talking a wired router?

Wireless 802.11n would be faster than wireless 802.11g from wireless access point to card but it won't speed up your providers connection per say.

What brand/model router are you using?

Feel free to hit me up on AIM at elijahmadmedoit if you need more info, I work in the industry. :)

Added----

If you need major a speed boost you could also buy a dual router that takes 2 cable modem inputs and bridges the connections for speed as well as redundancy should one connection drop.

I just talked to my dad about this and he said basically the same thing mcichocki did. I would call your ISP and figure out what exactly is slowing down your connection and what you can do to fix it. You could also call Cisco or any company that makes good routers and ask them for advice. My guess is you're probably running a ton of data at once and a nice router would do you good, not the cheap $80 ones you find at a retail department store like Best Buy.

Just my 2 cents though, I don't have the experience that mcichocki has.

Are you running wireless or are we talking a wired router?

Wireless 802.11n would be faster than wireless 802.11g from wireless access point to card but it won't speed up your providers connection per say.

The main trading computer is connected directly to the router via the cable (whatever that network cable thing is called).

What brand/model router are you using?

It's an older netgear (probably about 2 years old). I can get the model # tomorrow if you still need that.

Added----

If you need major a speed boost you could also buy a dual router that takes 2 cable modem inputs and bridges the connections for speed as well as redundancy should one connection drop.

Would that mean a need for two separate cable companies, or can I do this all on TimeWarner? I know that's probably a dumb question but my ONLY option for cable internet is TimeWarner. Cannot get DSL either.

I just talked to my dad about this and he said basically the same thing mcichocki did. I would call your ISP and figure out what exactly is slowing down your connection and what you can do to fix it. You could also call Cisco or any company that makes good routers and ask them for advice. My guess is you're probably running a ton of data at once and a nice router would do you good, not the cheap $80 ones you find at a retail department store like Best Buy.

See, that's just it - I just head to Best Buy for this kind of stuff. So if there is a router available that would yield higher speed, then I will buy it. I just don't want to buy a new router and be back at square one.

If you or MC have any ideas of a strong, reliable router to purchase, please put some links up here! Cost not an issue.

Have you tried connecting your cable modem ethernet line directly to your computer and thereby bypassing the router? Thus, if problem still exists, at least you know the router isn't causing it.

Also, if you try this test, turn the power off to both the computer and modem, and after connecting the ethernet line to your computer, turn the power on to the cable modem first, wait til all normal lights are on. Then, power the computer back on. At least that how my system requires it to be done. Your cable modem type and provider as well as their system reboot requirements may require a different way (reverse prior instructions) to reboot the system correctly.

Have you tried connecting your cable modem ethernet line directly to your computer and thereby bypassing the router? Thus, if problem still exists, at least you know the router isn't causing it.

Also, if you try this test, turn the power off to both the computer and modem, and after connecting the ethernet line to your computer, turn the power on to the cable modem first, wait til all normal lights are on. Then, power the computer back on. At least that how my system requires it to be done. Your cable modem type and provider as well as their system reboot requirements may require a different way (reverse prior instructions) to reboot the system correctly.

This is a good way to rule out the router as the speed thief.

Your cable provider may grab your "mac address" which is like a serial number of your network card and if you get no connection when you try this you need to call them and have them reset the mac address they have you set at.

If your wired and your router is a decent brand (and it is) I'd have to say your connection is the culprit. If you live in an area where lots of people have cable modems your all on the same pipeline. So that could be the issue and if so there is no resolution short of getting a T1 or dedicated line.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. I suspected the router was not the issue here, but just wanted to be sure.

At this point it's a matter of dealing with it. It's not that enough, but enough that I notice. Whenever the next move is I am going to make sure I can get some sort of secondary internet connection.

That's pretty much inline with what a decent residential connection should be getting.

You probably find around dinner time or later in the day it's slower and if so that would be due to the shared pipeline thing. People get home from school/work and hop on zapping your bandwith. If so be happy you get most the pipeline to yourself during trading hours. ;)

Thanks for the help MC, I appreciate it!!

Those occasional 'outages' must just be some sort of information overload, probably coming from my trading app's.

When it's time to move, internet providers will be on the list (at least my side of the list...) ;)

I was lucky to get here, as im having a lot of trouble with my connection speed. Thats why im asking for your help. I've been having issues for some days now, and every speed test i do, offers different results. I am really lost here. cheers and thanks in advance.