Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Adamned

Arthur Cutten one of the best traders of all time???

Does anyone on this forum know much about the legendary trader Arthur Cutten? For some reason there is almost nothing about him on the internet. There is a very short report on him on wikipedia but thats about it. My question is to all you great people on T.L. have you had any contact with old timers who have been able to share some knowledge about this great man with you.

I was reading a biography the other day on Jesse Livermore "Speculator King". The book is basically a very negative assesment of Livermore's life and trading acumen. It can be found for free at 4shared.com. Any how he goes on to present his opinion that Arthur Cutten is probably one of the best traders of all time. Prior to reading this book I have never even heard of Mr. Cutten. Mr Cutten built a fortune of more than 90 million dollars from a mere 1,000 dollars in the 1920's. Its my opinion this better than any Soro's or Pickens or any other of those hedge fund types. They have at their disposal ungodly sums of money to trade with. Mr. Cutten did it all with his own money and was an extremely frugal man. Thanks for the help and I wish good trading to all.

Hard to find any information on him, because he was so secretive. He never gave information out. He was like the Wheat king of CBOT.

As far as those negative assessments of the other trader, most successful speculators back then were frowned upon in society. In fact, it probably stems from some of these guys, the way society looks down upon speculators. Alot of farmers were starving way back then, and guys like Cutten were making a killing at the CBOT. The agrarians blamed people like Cutten for causing the famine. The stock guys on wall street got it to some degree too, but it was more futures than anything. The worst was options....options were banned (futures almost banned too) back in these times, and people were trading them in the lobby and street of CBOT because they were outlawed for a long time. Again, because the US government thought they were immoral gambling instruments.