Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Stocks to watch for week of 10/29 - 11/2

I thought we could try a thread listing some stocks to watch for the upcoming week, each week. I am trying to get back into watching some stocks and some that Tin has found ended up being some nice plays.

I'll be upfront - I don't have much to contribute to this thread right now. :roll eyes: I know... I was hoping to provide some feedback on stocks being mentioned until I figure out what type of stock trading/screener software to use. I'm dragging my feet on this as I'm not sure what I want or need.

So, if you have any stocks/etf's that you are watching this week, feel free to list here and elaborate if you want. If not, just tickers will work too.

Good trading swing traders!

;)

I'm toying with using prophet.net as they have some scanners that may work for me... we'll see.

Off their list here - http://www.prophet.net/explore/charttoppers.jsp - called 'Chart Toppers' here's a few that grabbed my attention:

NYSE:

PMI - High Volume Hammer (a total of 3, first one failed)

CFC - Already had a high volume hammer, just noting here

RDN - High Volume Hammer

IMB - Already had a high volume hammer, just noting here

NASDAQ:

TGIC - Had high volume hammer, Nice bullish engulfing/spinning top, still playable

That's about it for tonight. I'm not sure what prophet defines as 'chart toppers' but the common theme I found was volume. They have a number of other scanners and such, so this may work best for me. For now, I'm thinking high volume, % gainers/losers could be useful with the candles.

Charts attached with brief annotations.

cfc.png.3ee0ab28e1ece90ce3a3d33a74d7b036.png

IMB.png.1a71f9a54c3e58b9f3fb299773418eba.png

pmi.png.578c62ef7ef7dc7a8b1dd628d8699371.png

RDN.png.daf1791104eb99c5a2e29ecf14310acd.png

TGIC.png.a20805cbd912ac0c8399dcbe446d1c0d.png

I should note something on those plays after I got some sleep - I didn't see many (if any) where there was some support level around. I would prefer to see any level tested before and with the free stuff available at prophet, I didn't see any. Most of these looked like these were new lows, at least recently. The potential concern there, as you can see in a couple of these is that you may need to take multiple hammers or whatever before one works. You could also be caught buying into a strong downtrend.

Point is that tread carefully on just buying high volume hammers w/o any other support around. And as always, make sure to do your OWN homework and due diligence before placing any real money on the line.

Hmmm...on EEM I have some discrepancy with volume on other charts. Seems as though this prophet chart is showing less volume on the break, where on other charts I see stronger volume on the break. So...EEM is a good go for me.

Yup, and thru VSA we'd say an ULTRA wide spread on ULTRA high volume breaking into new ground is a good sign that institutional flow is starting to take part.

We may be onto something here Tin - with my candle analysis and your VSA confirmation... hmmm... can you say 'hedge fund' ;)

PS

I am not joking.

Let's see what these puppies are up to since these were all long plays and the market was down today.

PMI - ugly. This downtrend may be too strong. Stop not violated but getting close.

RDN - up on Monday, down today. Not much happening thus far.

TGIC - not much happening so far.

Well, stocks sure can suck sometimes. ;)

I guess when you are used to futures moving, stocks can seem like pulling teeth. As much as I enjoy screening stocks and looking for them, I am really thinking that I am best suited to just playing the indexes and futures. It's just so hard and time consuming looking for stocks that are worth playing and to be perfectly honest, that's a lot of extra work right now. I have a list of futures put together to watch on the dailys and probably best to stick with that for now.

And you can absolutely position trade things like the cash Russell and SPX or OEX and MNX...if you wanted to.

I've got a list of about 50 ETF's/stocks that I watch and I don't go screening for other things anymore. Makes life a bit easier.

XME is interesting...had a real nice resistance point right around 68 bucks and then it broke on slightly increasing volume, and then the failed breakout. It's still in an uptrend channel, but will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

chart_station_-_parallels_desktop-20071101-160817.jpg

Let's see what these puppies are up to since these were all long plays and the market was down today.

PMI - ugly. This downtrend may be too strong. Stop not violated but getting close.

RDN - up on Monday, down today. Not much happening thus far.

TGIC - not much happening so far.

Wow, those were incredibly bad plays. I think a little more research will be needed on stocks before I consider getting back into these plays.

Let these be a good lesson - just buying hammers on volume is not enough. I knew that going into them, and it just provided another reminder of buying hammers with no support.