Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Backtesting Software Recommendation

Anyone have a recommendation for a backtesting software and data feed that covers global markets? I currently dont have a TS account anymore but would like to backtest some strategies on my free time away from the office. Thanks.

James,

I've read that the new version of MultiCharts has some nice backtesting capabilities. The nice thing is you could just purchase it one time and then own it. You'll still need a data feed though. I personally just plug Open ECry data into it, but eSignal and others will work as well.

brownsfan019, have you had any problems getting anything with EZ to work in multicharts?

That would probly be the easy transition from tradestation. I would also check out ninja trader too though. All the strategy programming stuff is free if you have the data feed. I'm just taking baby steps trying to program that but its really cool to have all the C# programming resources available and not have to depend on a custom scripting language.

brownsfan019, have you had any problems getting anything with EZ to work in multicharts?

That would probly be the easy transition from tradestation. I would also check out ninja trader too though. All the strategy programming stuff is free if you have the data feed. I'm just taking baby steps trying to program that but its really cool to have all the C# programming resources available and not have to depend on a custom scripting language.

EZ as in EasyLanguage?

Hi Soul,

I use amibroker with an esignal datafeed. The program is cheap, powerful, fast, and it only has a one time fee, but no market profile.

Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

I visited their website and it is seems to receive alot of good reviews and very cost effective. One thing I read was that it was not suited for futures. Have you had any negative experience with Amnibroker when backtesting futures strategies or perhaps intraday strategies? I am aslo considering purchasing amnibroker with esignal data feed. How user friendly is the programming language?

James,

When you say backtesting are you referring to setting up systematic parameters and replaying the data to see what would happen, like datamining...or are you referring to being able to go back into historic data and trade with a replay feature?

Hi James,

It works perfectly fine with futures and intraday data. I use esignal as well. Coding is pretty intuitive. I think they also have a new scripting module, but I have never used it. It does not have a market delta type of indicator, bid or ask volume.

Rajiv

Hi everyone,

Im looking for backtesting software to be used to trade Forex.

Iv had a look at TradeStation and from their website it seems like a sweet deal, as you have a broker + backtesting platform + historical and realtime data all from the one source and its only 99/month or free if you trade 10 round lots a month. And they claim their spreads are only 1-2 pips on the top 7 or 8 pairs (I dont know how wide this becomes during quiet session or when there is news - can anyone share their experiences?)

How is TradeStation execution as a broker?

Has anybody tried automated trading with them?

Any thoughts or discussion is appreciated. Thank you.

Nizar.

Tradestation is the way to go.

Not withstanding that the question was asked about 10 months ago, you think Tradestation is the way to go for international markets? Why do you say that? I thought Tradestation only supports the US markets?