Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Peak Oil

I had been looking a little bit this topic.... its really interesting to see what will be the output of this and what will the world goverments will do to reduce the impact of very expensive crude after peak oil...

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid=-596805984521272213&q=peak+oil&total=1098&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9[/GVIDEO]

I wouldn't count on the government, they're very inefficient, the free market is going to take care of this. Some of the oil has been too expensive to extract, with attractive prices, we'll see more reasearch, futher delevolpment of oil fields, untapped reserves and other resources.

No one knows if oil has already peaked, but we'll soon find out. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but we'll get through this.

Certainly interesting and I agree with sparrow that the governments are not competitive to create solutions... I came across the http://www.chevron.com site thought they are an oil company, its interesting to see the amount of solutions they are already working on... I would say they are opening the umbrella to keep themselfes in bussiness and generate some solutions so we dont face a true crisis... cheers Walter.

There is no way that these energy companies are going to actually be working on solutions to cut into their profit margin....the only thing they are going to present to the public is something that they will have their fingers into as well......know what I mean Walter?

Everyone is talking about Ethanol being the next big thing...but it's nothing new, I remember the 99 Ford Rangers could take Ethanol just fine....it's nothing more than everclear or moonshine (for those of us who are Southerners lol).

If you have a flex fuel vehicle, try it sometime or ask your mechanic....it works..nothing magic about buying the new Ethanol magic fuel that they say is so hard to make. LOL

Basically, just like in the stock market, the big businesses are taking advantage of the mass opinion and predictability of the ignorant consumer....

My wife and I have been looking into BioDiesel and other things, and are putting money into solar power for aspects of our house, such as solar powered attic fans to keep the house cooler and use less energy, among other things...

Sad thing is...those things actually end up costing you more money.....you can conserve energy to help save the environment...but rest assurred the big businesses will always have the game rigged to their advantage.....

Big oil sure doesn't like to let go of their profitable business which hampers the development of alternatives. Unfortunately the history of mankind is full of incidents where disaster had to strike first before we changed our mind.

The production of bio fuels hardly produces more energy than it consumes. Uranium enrichment also requires energie(dunno about the efficiency) and electric cars, which are a step forward, aren't capable of going a long distance.

There's still a lot of oil in tar sands, but refining it is a costly process, peak oil could make their development possible.

I'd go with a combination renewable energie( tidal, wind, sun ), gas and coal power plants, nuclear energy and in a couple of decades hopefully fusion power.

I like these cars: wright

audio r-zero but not very efficient ones :).

Dunno how much potential hydrogen has.

Anyhow, hold onto your hats, it's gonna get rough in the future.

I would love to know some insider info on what the oil companies are already shooting for... that "new" energy they will choose (major one) will be the next boom investment ¡¡ my big question, will oil prices actually will decrease when this new energies come in ? or will it be the new black gold ? mmmm I will have to use my wizrd skills jejejejej... cheers Walter.

Wizard skills...sounds good to me....hey can you conjure me up a vacation to Hawaii while you're at it? lol

Yeah it is really crazy what must go on behind closed doors in the big oil companies offices....probably some good movie material....except it's in real life...

I would love to know some insider info on what the oil companies are already shooting for... that "new" energy they will choose (major one) will be the next boom investment ¡¡ my big question, will oil prices actually will decrease when this new energies come in ? or will it be the new black gold ? mmmm I will have to use my wizrd skills jejejejej... cheers Walter.

In my opinion there is no insider info, because there is no 'new' energy right now. We probably won't see it in our lifetime, but you can count on these oil companies to suck it all the way to bone dry, to keep printing money, and make advertisements on TV about 'renewable energy' to delude the public that we actually have something PRESENTLY that can replace oil to sustain our standard of living. We have a bridge at best with our current alternatives. Many in the oil & gas industry are already aware of the problem, but they certainly aren't going to talk about it on TV, could you imagine....the fear, what would happen to the stock price...and a good portion of their savings. Officers with like 28 million dollars worth of stock in their own company. The public will be the last to hold the bag.

I really hope the techno wizards can come up with something. I really am hopeful.

The only time I could see oil going back down to 10.00, is when the final leg down takes us towards zero, because it's obsolete OR miraculously something is able to replace it....after of course all the black gold is almost gone.

Remember, the world is ASSUMING that we actually have alternatives that can pack as much punch as oil, that are safe and practical. Maybe we could adjust our standard of living, but it's hard to make people change once their comfortable....then all the emerging nations that also want to be comfortable.

I am thinking some of the oilsands companies are good long term plays in the current and future environments regarding oil price and supply. I have a bit of BQI just in the event this thinking pans out

I am thinking some of the oilsands companies are good long term plays in the current and future environments regarding oil price and supply. I have a bit of BQI just in the event this thinking pans out

The Canadian Oil Sands has a ton of supply that is un-developed, but it takes big bucks and a ton of fuel to extract, and it's costly...but it's there, and I can't see how these reserves wont become increasingly important to our world.

The actual reserves are massive.

Yesterday crude oil made another record high... almost $100 per barrel...

clear sintoms of peak oil ? cheers Walter.

It's highly possible that the new pricing of oil is really reflecting this. The media likes to blame it on 'pure speculation', but it is the speculators and all the other market participants who are setting the price for the future.

The point is, they say because it's just over speculation, oil will crash back down to $60.00 bucks soon, they are trying to 'blame it on something', to tell the public that it's not real. What if this never happens and it keeps slowly rising? Or what if the next pullback only stops at $80.00 then turns right back up again to take out the 100 mark?

Alot of idiots are trying to pick a top in the oil market because they feel it's a fake bull market, but you know what happens to top pickers. This oil market feels like a runnaway train with no end in sight. I won't be surprised to see $150.00 per barrel within next year.

barely tangental to the topic - just for snicks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx8kMXufu3w]YouTube - BP Fails Booming School 101 Gulf Oil Spill.wmv[/ame]

"In times of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" g orwell