Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Andres

233 Tick Chart

Hi, I am a beginner trading the emini S&P500, I have noticed that a lot of traders use the 233 tick chart. I am using a 5 minutes chart using MACD and Stochastic but I’d like to know further more about the 233 tick eg. How can I to interpret this chart, how can I combine this chart with other studies to know the entry points so I need some help to understand what the 233 tick is all about.

Thanks guys

This 233 tick chart was made popular by John Carter and his book. Other than that, tick charts at different number are personal preferences. I use 600 and 3000 tick charts. 600 tick is closer to 5 min charts, 233 is a bit too fast for me.

Tick charts work well in combination with fib's but its the same as any other chart. If you feel comforable using a 233t (2-3min chart equivalent on the YM) then use it but have an anchor like Walter just said.

I've used 15 minuite candles ES for many years, The market moves in 30 minuite intervals,,so the 15's jus work for me... What tick chart setting is best to use in conjunction with the 15 min? I've been watching a 233 but it doesn't seem to flow with all my 15 min interval charts, but I can tell jus by watching it for a few days that it is useful! I just need to get the proper setting to flow with 15 min intervals. Any help is greatly appreciated...Thank you....ST

Stalor do you want it as a trigger chart (I.e. faster) or to be a similar speed to the 15 minute? In any case get a rough idea of the total ticks for a day and then divide by 6.5 * 4. Thats 6.5 hours * 4 15 minute bars an hour and will give a similar length bar to the 15 minute. Divide by a further 5-7 to get a faster 'trigger chart'. From memory 2000 tick was roughly equal to 15 minutes but I think you will need double that nowadays.

Guest forsearch
I've used 15 minuite candles ES for many years, The market moves in 30 minuite intervals,,so the 15's jus work for me...

It does?

What basis do you have for this observation?

-fs

What basis do you have for this observation?

Well fs My basis is 8 years of experience watching & trading the market. All seasoned traders I've met & know will tell you that 10:00 10:30 11:00 11:30 give or take 5 minuites are key reversal times in the AM ,,,,,2:00 2:30 3:00 are the PM reversals or continuations which ever the case may be. It's been my experience that more volume usually comes into the market around those times. Traders call the time between 11:30 & 2:00 the doldrums, for obvious reasons, thus not good odds for catching a runner. Hope this helps.....ST

I've started watching a 512 on the ES & 233 on NQ they seem to pair up well that way & do give a lil different perspective than a time chart.