Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

james_gsx

Martial Arts

James here's a couple of youtube videos for MMA training/conditioning styles. Another area to attack is also the knees. A well placed kick to the side of someoene's knee will put that knee out of action permanently! Even if u kick them frontally and drive the knee backwards you'll snap the AC ligaments at the back and that requires a total knee reconstruciton!

OAC spot on with the punches. If you take a swing at someones head and you connect with the actual cranium you'll break your hand. The cranium is the hardest part of the human body. Learn to use open fists and save yourself!

james, don't worry about being small. its got little to do with what you can accomplish.

if you box i'd suggest that you also train for the boxing ring, the mma ring, and the street. It will provide a greater understanding of the striking game.

So, what's up? Any progress?

I'm training for a boxing bout taking place early 2008. I've also been training in knife/stick fighting in an exclusive group. It's mostly Filipino martial arts like Kali and Silat if you want to place a some sort of a label or whatever to it.

I've taken a break from any serious fighting training cause my knee is still not 100%. I'm not taking any chances with it. Just gym work for myself atm. If I hopped into a boxing ring I probabbly wouldn't have the fitness to last more than 4 rounds at the moment.

The reason why I liked Aikido for health and defense purposes was that the teaching of Aikido is to be neutral, in life or in art, you tend to stay away from a fight rather than engaged; you are the center. An Aikido practitioner won't fight, but if you use force against him he might use some throws or joint locks... to keep you controlled; but he doesn't want to defeat you...

You may be able to guess where I am gonna come down on this by my screen name. My history is out of Japanese Jiu Jitsu, and turned to Aikido when I found a really excellent sensei. My body style lends itself to a grappling style, so it was natural for me, and the Aikido philosophy is one I can embrace. My advice is to stick with what you're doing if you're enjoying the training. All of the martial arts will give you a decided advantage against the untrained street knucklehead, so unless you're gonna be a pro, you're fine. If your intent is to fight trained fighters MMA is the way to go as is evidenced by the UFC and Pride.

Good luck, and stay with it, the rewards of your training will be more than just the ability to defend yourself.