Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

james_gsx

Martial Arts

Hey guys, I thought after a good discussion in the physical conditioning thread this might be cool too.

I have been wanting to learn a form of martial arts for some time but never really did anything. Last night I got the inspiration to try Judo, looked at some vidoes and watched a show on the History channel and it looked fun, yet something that would be physically demanding as well.

Today I talked with my manager who has taken several forms of martial arts and he told me to take Jujitsu instead mainly because it is better for self defense. I'd be willing to try that.

Do any of you guys practice any of that or had any experiences?

Jujitsu especially the Brazilian style is pretty cool. Its one of the more accessable forms of Martial arts cause its based on grappling. Watch Tito Ortiz in the UFC he's a really good fighter who uses that style. But then again if you want a martial art to get into straight away which gives you a great workout try boxing. I love boxing personally.

MMA fighting styles are becoming really popular here in Australia now.

I've done Kung Fu, Karate, and Aikido and I have to say that of those Aikido was my favourite. Aikido is the best self defence martial art because the whole style is based on self defence, you don't attack at all, but you get to learn some pretty cool ways to twist peoples limbs in weird ways.

It also saved my life once. Some guy tried to mug me, he had a knife out and I refused to hand ove rmy wallet. He slashed (bastard got my shoulder just!) and I side stepped him turned his arm around over itself followed by my elbow coming down hard on his which broke it! Hope he learned a lesson hehe.

James

Learning martial arts and self defense system are separate things. It will take life time to master any martial art and you will not be able to sustain an attack or effectively defend yourself for a long time or might be never be able to, street fight completely different than what you learn in martial art boutiques.

You have to decide what your goal – martial art as a life style and long hours training; occasional learning about different kick styles few days a week or efficient protection system.

Arts: Moui-Tai will make you strong, Aikido – many years of training, slow and elegant.

UNIBOS (Universal Combat System) or Krav Maga - that’s your choice if you don’t want to spend some time in Special Forces, but want to have an adequate training.

I would go for a straight up MMA gym.

Even in this dieing city we have 2 different ones to pick from now. They basically teach brazilian jujitsu, muay thai and boxing on different nights of the week then have sparring and things like that.

The only downside with that is i'm sure your going to have a high percentage of wanna be badasses who takes things way to seriously but I'm sure it would be super intense. One of the MMA gyms here even has a pretty nice free weight setup.

One is not necessarily better than any other for fighting. It depends on the practitioner and you don't have to stick to a single system. Take what works for you and go with it.

I would go to a judo gym but I'd also like to try aikido. Those are two of the most recommended for law enforcement officers because their goals are purely apprehension.

I personally like boxing and muay thai and thats all that I currently train for. I also like stick/blade fighting such a kali or silat which is also used empty handed, but i haven't done that in years.

I will continue my training in grappling arts and stick/blade fighting pretty soon.

If you are looking for an exercise program that you can sustain motivation in, you may want to look for something other than MMA. It can be difficult to stay motivated if you aren't looking for a bout. Also, some mma gyms are purely for the sport of mma and some also instruct in combat mma. There is a great difference despite how it looks. Actually, boxing and muay thai may be difficult to be motivated for if you don't compete.

If you are wanting defense, be sure to train for real life fighting techniques. If you train your muscle memory for sport, you won't be as effective as if you had trained for real fighting.

btw, some mma gyms teach sloppy techniques or demand that you do it the way the instructor wants it done so be ware of that as well. I think this occurs because lot of mma guys just pick up techniques here and there and never try to perfect it enough. then again, a judo, boxing, jujitsu, whatever can be like that as well.

okay this is my third edit.

If you want to learn how to fight on the streets, find people who actually train with special forces or police. Often times you will need permission and a referral. Some of the guys that instruct and train with them don't even have their own gyms.

My instructor trains Navy seals with some other instructor level peers of his but I'm not included in those exercises. Sometimes the instructor will have another training group for police officers and trusted individuals. I'm about to be a "trusted individual" soon but not until i set my heart on it.

The guys that train for law enforcement or special forces are likely to be a bit rough with you and single you out until they begin to trust you.

I am not sure if they ever changed the name of it, since this was mostly back in the early 2001-02...but Marine Corps Martial Arts was great. We were taught over a deployment period....Really neat...pretty brutal stuff....Not really stuff you'd do in a ring though....

James

Learning martial arts and self defense system are separate things. It will take life time to master any martial art and you will not be able to sustain an attack or effectively defend yourself for a long time or might be never be able to, street fight completely different than what you learn in martial art boutiques.

You have to decide what your goal – martial art as a life style and long hours training; occasional learning about different kick styles few days a week or efficient protection system.

Arts: Moui-Tai will make you strong, Aikido – many years of training, slow and elegant.

UNIBOS (Universal Combat System) or Krav Maga - that’s your choice if you don’t want to spend some time in Special Forces, but want to have an adequate training.

Are you referring to Muay Thai?

I really want to learn more of an art form than anything, but be able to use it as self defense if needed. Does that make better sense? I don't like looking for fights, I hate being in that situation. But for example, if I was I'd like to know I stand a chance of defending myself if needed.

But I'd rather learn the art form than anything.

whoa...i just saw your profile. Are you much of a skier/boarder? I go to Keystone every year because its a good place for children and families.

oh yea...and i think judo is an excellent choice. You will see that the training really helps reflexively. I was involved in a street fight as a teenager and in my good nature I choose to just end the conflict with minimum violence.

The guy tried to rush in and swing at me after I diverted his first attempt to do the same thing. I just directed pushed his face up and down. His whole body followed his head. hehe

I deflect his two punches and knocked a guy over the front fenders of a car. I could have easily head butted, eye gouged, messed up his knee for life, kneed, elbowed, or just simply out punch the guy. I could have grabbed him and kneed his face. I could have hurt him bad when he fell to the ground as well.

I prob should have injured him for life. Sometimes I hate having moral ethics. Good guys lose. It feels like i got the short end of the stick by not taking advantage of the glorious victory that i could have had. Maybe I should have had my "King Leonidas" moment while I was free from the law while I was a minor.

He was maybe 2 years older than me and in college so it could have been a real embarrassment for him.

*I can't sleep right now because I'm experiencing some stress so that prob explains why I'm being a turd.*

I tried snowboarding once in Slovenia trying to be cool..I ended up sitting on the board and riding down like a girl.lol

I am way too familiar with skiing, so I always try to go down with my body facing the base of the mountain. I like snowboarding though because when you fall you can fall on your ass :rofl:

But anyways, back to martial arts. It's easy to find Judo classes up here, not so much Jujitsu classes. I guess I should just open up the phone book.

I just did a google search on something and it brought up something that reminded me of something..hehe

Maybe ethics had nothing to do with it. It was my high level of intelligence. hah

I am definitely not an expert on conventional Martial Arts, but I would say if you really wanted to get into the artistic side of a martial art, maybe even look into Kung Fu of some sort.

I was going to say...we have 2 MMA gyms here so there must be something in Denver.

http://www.bjjboulder.com/

http://www.gummbjj.com/

damn...this is where Nate Marquardt trains out of and Ken Shamrock would train at this one:

http://www.grapplers-edge.com/

haha, I think I would stay far away from that one unless you want to get your ass kicked. Its probly insanely expensive too.

Gummbjj sounds pretty cool...bjj, wrestling, boxing and muay thai.

I'd go with boxing or MMA personally. Its fast to learn and you can learn to defend yourself and attack quickly. Great workouts as well!

I'm with Nick.

Go for practicality. There is a lot more art to those forms than many give them credit for....

And, to boot, it may save your life one day...I know that may seem melodramatic...but just watch the news.

No question learning MMA is the quickest way to learn to defend yourself if that is your goal. But if you really want to be practical, you have to

go one step beyond and practice stuff out-lawed by MMA competition

such eye-gouge, groin kick, and strike to the neck. Don't laugh because

that is necessary when defending against multiple assailants. Also if you are a boxer, you have to learn to do the palm strike instead. Many professional

boxers break their hands during a bar fight. Also If you are small guy,

you may want to learn the art of pressure point knockout from Dim-Mak

or Kyusho. And that may take years.

You're right...that's what I liked about MCMA. Fancy? No. Pretty? No. Devastating? Yes.

You have to be crazy to not go for the Eye, Throat or Groin....one of the three will always be open unless you are fighting an Octopus..which is unlikely.

I know what you mean man. I don't know a whole lot about any of that stuff really...just a rudimentary knowledge of what's out there beyond what MCMA teaches....but best of luck in your endeavors man.