Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

MrPaul

How do you manage stress?

I thought it might be useful to spark up a conversation on stress as it relates to being a trader and how we all manage it.

I have found trading to be the most rewarding career I can imagine but at times it can be stressful. Even when I don't "feel" stressed the constant attention and focus can sometimes wear your mind out by the end of the day/week.

I have been experimenting lately with simple biofeedback and meditation practice and that seems to really help ease the mind after a day of going full steam.

What are some if any of the things you do to relax?

One reason I prefer trading the longer term timeframes is that the stress of scalping doesn't put me in the right frame of mind for trading so looking at longer timeframes may help if you're under too much stress. Also exercise is a great way to relieve stress and after that something (or someone) that makes you laugh like a comedy programme on TV or a funny movie.

yes, I find trading extremely rewarding due its competitive dynamic but man you can feel awful when the market is tough or you aren't in sync.

the only thing that works for me is getting exercise. it is the only way for me to clear my mind -- when in a hard sweat, you simply cannot help but focus on the task at hand and forget everything else.

that said, I find futures trading to actually be much less stressful than trading stocks. all those gaps (upgrades/downgrades against your position) -- the worry at night of a big gap down due to futures etc... there is something so clean about making X trades and either winning or losing on them and just playing for good % and the occassional big win.

would be interested in others thoughts on things to do so that you aren't totally checked out on your wife/girlfriend and/or kids.

One reason I prefer trading the longer term timeframes is that the stress of scalping doesn't put me in the right frame of mind for trading so looking at longer timeframes may help if you're under too much stress. Also exercise is a great way to relieve stress and after that something (or someone) that makes you laugh like a comedy programme on TV or a funny movie.

I am the same way, I just happen to be trying out shorter term timeframes as the MP/AMT thing really appeals to my personality..but longer term equals less stress, generally.

Oh, and the HEAVY BAG. Now that is a stress reliever.

exercise without a doubt IMO.

I just started doing bas rutten's all around mma workout from his cd. if your bored with your current workout check it out. most brutal workout possible, its 28 minutes, my best so far is 10 minutes then i can't breathe or feel my legs.

I use to be a powerlifter in highschool/college but nothing is harder than this stuff. Its great to have metrics too since i know once i can do the full 28 minutes at proper intensity....stress? yea right....walking will be more the issue. I just try to go farther in the workout every time.

DarthTradar,

yeah man I have heard Rutten is pretty psycho when it comes to PT.

Like a SEAL once said "Pain is good, extreme pain is extremely good".

LOL

I am actually considering checking it out....thanks for the info....

Today my friend and I drove up to Rocky Mountain National park. Drove up a long mountain pass in his Corvette Z06. I'm not going to lie, getting up there and breathing the cool mountain air and seeing the beautiful scenery made me forget about all my troubles. Not to mention driving that car was a blast, and I'm not a big fan of domestics.

My family is seriously considering building a cabin up in the mountains with some land. But the catch would be no tv, internet, etc. My mom has a very stressful job so it would be nice for her, and be a reward to head up there after a week of trading. I think that would be an awesome way to manage some of the stress.

Reaver, certainly check out Bas training stuff. There is a torrent of it if you want to preview it, I just ordered the dvd the other day. Its nuts. I just got up to 11 minutes today and felt like I was going to puke. I was already dead then he calls off "30 seconds, jumping knees to chest".

The nice thing about it is you can do it anywhere.

James, your family should totally do the cabin thing. My grandparents bought cottages on lake erie in the 50s and I've gone up to one every weekend for every summer of my life. We don't even have showers up there, just the lake but its the nicest thing in the world. I haven't even bothered to travel much or take many vacations in my life. I go on vacation every weekend. Then when you take groups of friends up and no one is around, can't top that.

At one point I was trying to teacvh myself how to stop taking myself out of the position to soon. So I started doing pushups evertime I entered and let the DOM do the executing. It worked. Fitness while you trade.hahaha

That workout in the youtube clip has a lot of plyometrics in it which is really good for MMA fighters or any fighter in general as it helps to develop explosive power through speed.

That being said to relieve stress I have two things that do the trick each time. I love to exercise and play sports. Secondly is sex. Sex is a fantastic stress relief! I find that if I haven't had a root at least 3-5 times a week I can't function but thats probabbly a lot to do with my age at the moments haha.

Reading/films are also great to relax my mind. I strongly believe in the old mens sana in corpore sana motto.

I was trading badly for almost this entire week, I had thought about taking the day off this Friday. My confidence was starting to shake, especially about my system. Stress level was ok, I didn't lose big per trade, so no major stress was taking hold of me. Instead of taking the day off, I decided to get back to basics and focus on execution and not let the losses drive my next trade. I actually meditated for about 10 minutes before market open, going through the motions in my mind how to get the executions perfectly and running the list of rules I had to obey. Friday I managed to pull it off to almost breakeven. It was actually a relief to pull it off. I think I managed to stay stressless was the fact that keeping my losses per trade by the use of stop loss rules kept my nerves steady because it was one thing I did right so I was still confident in my discipline, despite other errors (ie. entries and overtrading). It was the first best lesson learned from my mentor, honor your stops and everything will care of itself (discipline, stress managed, and mental composure).

That bas workout is all plyometrics/pushups/situps...Basically 2 minute rounds of that, then a minute shadow boxing for a break. I can't believe how incredibly hard that is. Maybe i'll have to look into a heavy bag, I bet rounds on the heay bag is alot of fun too.

bas stuff looks pretty good.

i have done all sorts of workouts - run 2 marathons, done powerlifting and olympic lifting comps, etc.

the HARDEST thing was the 20 rep squat routine. period.

a la "super squats"

I just bear it like everybody else.

If i become stressed over a bad trading day, exercise doesn't seem to work. I'll just feel sluggish through the workout and become frustrated. I think sleep helps most often. After some sleep, I can usually get a good workout.

I normally can't sleep at night if I am stressed. However, if I've had a physically demanding day, then I have no problem passing out without washing up. hell..i can sleep on the front porch by that point.

Today sucked. I made some pretty bone headed moves that has taken me back a couple of weeks. Its traumatizing because I couldn't capitalize on the opportunities that I recognized.

It's like getting knocked down to the ground and stomped on by the guy your girlfriend cheated on you with. Dragged through mud. Then looking up from the muddy pit to see the lamentations of your soon to be ex-girlfriend.

1/Reading top trading literature - nothing relaxes me more than this activity.

2/Cutting down on time spent in front of the terminal - very helpful.

3/Long walks, sauna, and all the other forms of having good time - very helpful.