Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Atari

IRA Trading - Avoiding Free-riding (Fidelity)

Hello,

I'm new to trading with an IRA and would like to avoid free-riding. Currently using Fidelity and there are various warnings posted during buys & sales of stock, but I'm not sure which ones would amount to a free ride situation.

Example:

- $55,000 in the account

- Day 1: Buy 1,000 shares MSFT at $50.0 (-$50k)

- Day 2 morning: Sell 1,000 shares MSFT at $52.00 (I would get a warning)

Could I then turn around on Day 2 and buy say $50,000 worth of stock again? Or do I need to wait for some period of time to pass before the original money "settles" to avoid a free-ride situation? :crap:

From my understanding this is how it works.

Your example:

Account size: $50,000

Monday - buy 1000 shares for 50,000

Tuesday - sell 1000 shares for 52,000. (this transaction also has a 3 day clearing period)

Wednesday - you want to buy 1000 shares @ 50.00 again for 50,000. this is fine. ( but understand that these shares you just bought are on "borrowed money" till your sell transaction from Tuesday clears in 3 days on Friday. meaning you can't sell these 1000 shares till Friday. If you sell before Friday you will then get a free riding ticket.

Second example:

Account size $50,000

Monday - Buy 500 shares of a 50.00 stock for 25,000

Tuesday - sell 500 shares at 52 each for 26,000 ( 3 day clearing period)

Wednesday - buy 500 shares back at 50.00 for 25,000 (now even though your shares from Tuesdays transaction have not cleared you are able to sell these shares with out getting a free ride ticket because you have the capital in your account to back it up.)

Hope that helps!