Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Nick1984

Uranium market

I follow the price of Uranium pretty closely as I trade Uranium mining stocks.

The spot price of Uranium is at $120/lb and has been rising for over 6 months.

At the moment demand for Uranium is far outstripping supply. We simply cannot dig it out of the ground fast enough to supply the energy needs of the world. African countries such as Namibia have let in a large number of exploration companies and already have mining giants such as Rio Tinto and Paladin Resources mining there, with many other explorers drilling around to find more. However the Namibian government has now slowed down on the granting of tenements to new explorers.

Resource rich countries such as Australia are still reluctant to expand mining of the resource. As our elections are coming up this year, both political parties are putting on their true colours when it comes to uranium mining with the local Labor party going back on it's maximum 3 Uranium mines policy should it be elected.

There is still way to much red tape to cross with environmental regulations as well as an unfriendly commuinty vehemently opposed to Uranium mines in Australia.

There are only so many old nuclear warheads that can be dismantled to keep on stoking those nuclear reactors!

With our inability to keep on digging up enough low grade U308, I expect that uranium prices will keep rising but to what extent? Uranium cannot remain a viable resource if it cannot be used and many countries will start to look at non-nuclear energy production. With the world moving away from coal power gradually thanks to the global warming wagon rolling on, the choices for alternative energy sources are becoming rarer.

How do you see the future of Uranium markets?

Maybe we should start buying up Hydrogen shares!

I don't think there's much interest in uranium amongst retail traders to be honest. I know as of this week uranium futures can be traded on Globex. I don't know what the average daily volume is.

Hi:-)I just joined this site to answer your thought/quest could not help myself when I read it....this is what I have found in my research...

Global uranium fuel comsumption is est to be about 180 million pounds annually mine production is about 108 million pounds & reprocessing from spent fuel rods represent about 11 million pounds. It seems a huge shortfall in mine supply this has been my investment rationale for uranium.

It is important to note that while new reactors are being built across the world old ones are being scheduled to be decommissioned …but taking all into consideration even the Deutsche Bank has concluded that 89 new reactors will start up across the globe between 2015 40 will close add the 442 by 2015 across the globe we are looking at 490 operating reactors and this is not considering the proposed reactors.

And what do I believe is behind it all?

“Global concern for the environment desperately needing cleaner energy using nuclear fuelâ€Â.

To answer your question of “how do I see the future uranium market�

You have just placed the greatest smile on my face my thoughts are all the way up

regards from jen20200

The thing about oil, is that there is relatively little left. There are large areas of unexplored oil territory but a lot of that is in very inhospitible territory which makes it un-drillable i.e: deep deep deep ocean.

Also the Green movement is campaigning heavily against fossil fuels. Here where I live in Victoria, Australia we have vast amounts of coal which we could use to power our plants for well over another hundred years but every day in the paper we hear people complaining about how much it pollutes. On the other hand they don't want nuclear power here either...!?! Crazy greenies they can't make up their mind on anything, i guess maybe they would perfer us to go back to the dark ages lol.

Anyhow, nuclear fuel is a viable source of energy which produces relatively little waste (16 container crates full is the total nuclear waste produced world wide since the world went nuclear). Hydrogen fuel is another option but so far the technolog is not so well developed like nuclear is.

For these reasons I can't help but see the U market keep on going up and up.

>The thing about oil, is that there is relatively little left.

In my opinion I'm not sure that the problem is there is little left, it's more about production capacity right now....it's becomming more and more difficult to keep up with the demand. We can't produce it fast enough. It's not that the reserves in the ground have little left, nobody knows exactly how much is left, and we'll never know.

Although the peak oil theory proves reserves will ultimately diminish (and just common sense), nobody knows exactly where we are, and even if we are at the peak of the production curve, theres still a long ways on the downward slope. Many many years.

To keep the world dependent on oil is important in my opinion :)

If you look at the Emirates and other nearby countries, they're building new industries, preparing for the inevitability. Iran has money from oil, but it craves uranium, for good or bad intentions, we still don't know. Iran got so much cash it doesn't know what to do with it.