Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

[Understanding the TICK Part 2]

the other guy is correct (as far as i know) - the QT line chart is updated once a second

i read somewhere how often the NYSE updates it's TICK but i can't recall off-hand

regardless, the point is that a classic line chart can show (basically) every value, whereas a line on close doesn't.

i learned to trade using a line chart (didn't even know what a lineonclose was) of the TICK. so, i prefer it. it's what i'm used to. but that's tangential to the fact that it does provide MORE and MORE ACCURATE information than the line on close, since the line on close is like a derived chart. it takes longer intervals as a close and only shows you those values. it may appear less noisy, but when i scalp, i want ot see the noise. one person's noise is another's price action :)

as for the 1tick chart being the same. it's not cause it does not (as far as i can tell by the picture) plot a smooth continuous line of the TICK value, which is what the line chart does.

Guest cooter

as for the 1tick chart being the same. it's not cause it does not (as far as i can tell by the picture) plot a smooth continuous line of the TICK value, which is what the line chart does.

Huh? So where is YOUR pic showing the "smooth continuous line" - whatever that means to you. Explain. Sounds like you're the one engaging in rhetoric now.

d00d.

deal with it.

everybody on the face of the earth knows what a LINE chart is.

it's not that frigging complicated.

each time QT (or any program that uses a line chart) receives a new TICK value, it plots it by scrolling to the right, plotting that value, connected in a LINE to the previous value

i can't teach a pig to sing, and i apparently can't teach you what a line chart is.

i guess that's my failing (rolls eyes)

Guest cooter

i guess that's my failing (rolls eyes)

Yep, guess it is.

And yes, I know what a line chart is. Pretty simple to me, actually.

What I fail to understand is how the pic I posted up top ISN'T a line chart?

You still haven't made that clear to me, or many of the other readers lurking.

I think it's just a graphical issue with TradeStation. A one tick chart is the same as a continuous line chart but the line should update horizontally so you have one smooth line. See my KOSPI video I posted above for illustration.

Soultrader, can you give any hints as to how you even got this concept of $TICK hooks? Did you come up with that or is that 3rd party? Its so beautifull.

Just a tweak from Hubert Senters over at TradeTheMarkets.com. I find TICK hooks on a 5minute combining with candlesticks more effective in my trading.