Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

MichelGJulien

Bullish DOE Crude Oil Inventories Numbers Didn't Really Help WTI

You know that a market is over extended to the upside when bullish news tend to produce the opposite reaction that would "normally" be expected. This morning the DOE data came out at -2.812MM (draws), when the market expected -1.5MM, compared to last week +1.32MM. Inventories are slowly coming down so in theory, this should be bullish for WTI. But according to the COT, there are so many large speculators still long that, like I said yesterday, longs are taking advantage of higher prices to unload as many contracts as possible. That's why I believe we will not see 110, at least not before this imbalance between longs and shorts reach some sort of equilibrium. Also, in my opinion, this type of environment will produce a lot of choppy market action over the next few days. This will not be a market for the faint of heart for sure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36853&stc=1&d=1376519817

Looks like we're about to fill the August 1 gap at 107.87

Technically, the market opened at 106.38 i.e. within yesterday's range but outside of value area. Yesterday's gap stood at 106.77 and was filled right after the DOE inventories data release. The initial balance came in at 55 ticks this morning, i.e. 32% below its 10-day average. This result prompted me to tweet: "More volatility to come later maybe". And boy did we get some more after the DOE release. Typically, I do not like to get into a position before the DOE data. I had bad experiences in the past so now my motto is: "better safe than sorry". I know it's boring. But that's the way trading goes sometimes. It's not always rainbows and unicorns. So, to recap, besides all the excitement, we have been basically range trading between 105 and 107 since Sunday evening. A confirmed breakout outside this range will be significant and should be followed, not faded. In the meantime, my charts are kind of messy.

I took 1 trade today:

1. Long 106.89 at 14:05, exit 107.00 at 14:10 for a +11 ticks profit. Result: +11 ticks today.

More articles on my blog

Or on my Tweeter stream

5aa711fa1f315_NOTOVERSOLDYET.thumb.png.c9692317fac693e10b730e502c0130bc.png

""Oil is absolutely certain to become incredibly short in supply and very high priced. The imported oil is not your enemy, it's your friend...

t's going to get way worse later ...

The oil in the ground that you're not producing is a national treasure ... It's not at all clear that there's any substitute [for hydrocarbons].""""

These are the words of Berkshire Hathaway's eighty-eight year old vice-chairman Charlie Munger. He obviously feels oil prices will keep going up and supply will be short of demand. Even with all the data that has made the peak oil theory look bad, it seems as though agreeing with Munger is the most rational thing to do now.

Besides, there is always the geo-political risk that has to be accounted for when pricing oil as a commodity. And then the fact that no matter how much oil is produced, it is the marginal cost of production that ultimately determines the oil price per barrel. This marginal cost has been on the rise and it has always sent the price of crude oil up.