Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Sierra Charts for MP: Any users?

Does anyone have any experience with Sierra Charts for MP? Im giving it a try and am unable to plot profile charts for previous sessions without affecting the scaling of the charts. I am able to chart a one day profile or a composite profile for x number of days. But when trying to view profiles of past sesions it is giving me issues.

Anyyways, if you have any tips please let me know. For those of you are not familiar with the Sierra Charts MP package they are offering a 14 day free trial.

Attached is a snapshot of a YM profile from March 6, 2007.

march6ym.jpg.b78135cb454ecfbdd4c7945f043e44bc.jpg

James,

You probably want to look at the scaling. I have only done MP experimentally because I don't need it for my trading but when I was experimenting I used a constant range scale set to cover 2-3 days of low range movement and then moved the "window" up and down.

Try automatic. Try a set amount centered around the last price on the screen.

I'm not sure what would work for you.

Thank you Kiwi.. I have been playing around with it. I noticed that the best way to plot MP would be to enter a fixed date from start to end with fixed ranges. (a little annoyed by this)

Also I am unable to find any tool that will let me scroll up or down. (even on the window) I am basically using the auto scaling feature on the charts by dragging up and down. I found some videos on Sierra and was quite happy but then the moment I played them I was heavily disappointed.

Ill see if I can get used to this... if not I will consider a different vendor.

Thanks.

You can change the scale or move the scale up and down by left clicking in the price scale and then moving the mouse up while held. You can choose which you want. Or you can hold Ctrl down as well to get the other one.

I think this might be an advanced feature but I'm not sure.

It does make rescaling pretty easy. It will also let you adjust the "white space" around the current automatic scaling.

I think many people particularly those used to the tradestation way of doing things (i came from ts2000i) find Sierra counterintuitive for a few weeks. But most get past that.

ahh okay, the ctrl makes my life alot easier now. How do you remove the "white space"? Are you referring to the space from one trading session to the next? Also is there a way of deleting the decimal points from the price scale?

I am a typical TS user so finding Sierra either extremely simply and hard or just plain hard. :)

Get used to pressing F5 and F6 a lot on the charts until you start to really understand it.

Press F5 ... change the price display format.

Its like tradestation in that it has a huge amount of hidden complexity (once u are setup and using it in the same way day by day) but its like a flight sim game compared with doom ... there is a bit of learning.

Its weakest point is in drawing tools and editing text (imho) but I think admin will get onto that area again once they've got the new "easy" dll creation all bedded down and everyone's happy with that.

James, have you figured out how to scale the charts? I started a free trial last week and have benefited from the intraday chart, but I can't view daily charts next to each other. It seems like there's a huge amount of space separating the days. I have to push the left arrow a lot to see the previous day(s).

So what do people use to get Market Profile?

I came across this site while looking for information on Market Profile. Great site!

When I was trading for a large bank I used CQG. However, now I am my own and CQG is out of my budget. I am just starting to set up my home operation, I have had an IB account for years but it seems that getting on to the Tradestation platform will solve my charting needs. Do people buy indicator add-ons like the ones from Sirtrade (400euro annually) or 1st-TradingTools? or is there something else for Tradestation that I am missing?

There's a list of providers on the CBOT website. Unfortunately there are no free ones - Sierra is the cheapest. Others include eSignal and there's an add-on for NinjaTrader.

I am currently in my search as well cborjon...each one I find has its major pros and cons that almost preclude each other to point I can't find what i am looking for. I am considering Investor RT right now.

Chad,

Hey how's it going? I was wondering- on your playback feature, do you have a sim broker feature for paper trades on futures? I really like what you have set up, by the way with RT.

Hey Reaver, Chris.

Reaver, what you could do is simulate using the built-in portfolios within Investor/RT. You can setup automation from either signal markers, or the trading system indicator, to send orders to an IRT portfolio that you create. You can keep the portfolio open during playback and watch orders flow in and out of them, and then review the activity at the end of the day with the portfolio reports.

This is an area we plan to devote alot of time to in the coming months. We have an MB Trading version currently in beta testing, and plan on implementing OpenTick and TransAct integration in the near future. I also intend to create some new videos focused on automation to illustrate how to accomplish these tasks in IRT.

Regards,

Chad